The Leafcutter Update - Coming April 25th!

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Please enjoy our updated trailer, featuring the leafcutter ants and rainforest environment!

We're very pleased to announce that our first major update for Empires of the Undergrowth, the Leafcutter Update, will be coming to the game on April 25th! Featuring an all-new rainforest environment with new critters of all sizes, two new levels which will see you face off against fully-fledged colonies, and a new Formicarium Challenge where the dastardly scientists have something special planned for you.

The jungle floor stirs. Ants of all sizes creep out of their holes to harvest the nearby foliage, traveling far and wide to find the choicest leaves. The odds are stacked against these fledgling colonies - you may be tempted to discount creatures that forage for leaves but with huge crushing mandibles on their side they are not to be underestimated.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Can't wait to figure out how to master these. I wonder how they'll compare to the difficulty of 1.2 or the 2.X levels.

It always looks like the army ants are unbeatable from what i've seen in the trailer. I can't wait to just tear them apart and dominate them when I play the levels! But that was a really great trailer!:p:D:D

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Can't wait to figure out how to master these. I wonder how they'll compare to the difficulty of 1.2 or the 2.X levels.
I can do the old levels on hard and a couple of them on insane. The new levels currently I can do on normal and almost do on hard. This balance may change during the beta but for now they are slightly harder than 2.X

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I can do the old levels on hard and a couple of them on insane. The new levels currently I can do on normal and almost do on hard. This balance may change during the beta but for now they are slightly harder than 2.X
Oh my, sounds like it'll take some work to optimize strategies for them.

A cool guy

Worker
Wow! The leaf cutter release date is finally out! Omg I have been waiting forever :D Thank you so much, slug disco, for making such an awesome game! And, surprisingly, Balanite is back to making vids. He beat all levels (including challenges) on insane. I hope he will also beat the leaf cutter levels. BTW just the last question: is rainfall going to be included? Or drops of water? And maybe puddles? Thnx :)

Last edited:

MedinB

Colony
Okay 1 thing I'm going to say is what time will this be released? So when its April 24th, and its 12:59, and the next minute it will be released because it's a new day?

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
The last time we had a pre-announced release was 1st December 2017, which of course was the day we went into early access properly. Our intention that time was to release about midday GMT, but that didn't happen because of the whole rejection debacle which got sorted several hours later.

Not saying that's the time we'll launch, that hasn't been decided yet - but that's the implicit precedent.

A cool guy

Worker
The last time we had a pre-announced release was 1st December 2017, which of course was the day we went into early access properly. Our intention that time was to release about midday GMT, but that didn't happen because of the whole rejection debacle which got sorted several hours later.

Not saying that's the time we'll launch, that hasn't been decided yet - but that's the implicit precedent.
Speaking of Early Access, will your game always run on steam? Or is it going to become an independent game? If it's going to become independent, will the players have to buy the game again? This is such an awesome game, but I still don't want to spend too much money on it. XD

Marduk

Larva
I forgot something: will you release the Leafcutter update on GOG too at the same time? Because I bought it on GOG.

So when it updates and say your in the main menu and then suddenly it updates. Do you have to restart your devise or does nothing obvieus happens?

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
So when it updates and say your in the main menu and then suddenly it updates. Do you have to restart your devise or does nothing obvieus happens?

As long as you have the game set to keep up-to-date automatically (which I believe is the default on Steam) as soon as the update is released it should notice and queue it up for updating. If it doesn't notice immediately I've found restarting Steam will force it to.

I imagine you guys will be keeping a close eye on things on the date, and of course we'll tell everyone when the update is live.

A cool guy

Worker
It's funny how the leaf cutter majors easily dwarf the spiny cricket. XD The majors seems like invincible; one of them was being surrounded by a group of army ant soldiers, and it took them down. Usually, it's the aa's (Army ants) that raids leaf cutters and exterminate them, but I love leaf cutters, so I don't mind seeing them dominate the army ants instead LOL. Leaf cutter Majors are created specifically to defend the nest from army ants (no joke!)

Please enjoy our updated trailer, featuring the leafcutter ants and rainforest environment!

We're very pleased to announce that our first major update for Empires of the Undergrowth, the Leafcutter Update, will be coming to the game on April 25th! Featuring an all-new rainforest environment with new critters of all sizes, two new levels which will see you face off against fully-fledged colonies, and a new Formicarium Challenge where the dastardly scientists have something special planned for you.

The jungle floor stirs. Ants of all sizes creep out of their holes to harvest the nearby foliage, traveling far and wide to find the choicest leaves. The odds are stacked against these fledgling colonies - you may be tempted to discount creatures that forage for leaves but with huge crushing mandibles on their side they are not to be underestimated.
The end of the trailer looks so satisfying seeing all of the ants bringing back all the leaves and the leafhopper just chilling in the foreground completes the look! Well done!:D:D

do you guys wanna put a beta build that can allow some players to use the leafcutters and the other bugs for the battle arena mode so we can test strategies against the mantis and army ants it will also build up so more hype before the big update