Recent content by Tom Johnson

1. Tom Johnson

Saved games missing .DAT

I'm sorry you got hit by this. What you describe sounds similar to a bug that was fixed in the most recent update, v0.24, which released on Steam on Dec 20 and EGS on Dec 22. If this happened before those dates or if your version of the game didn't automatically update (you can check this by...
  2. Tom Johnson

What does Eco Health do and what does Adaptability do for plants

Thank you! I'm glad you're having a good time with it. I can verify that accident's understanding is correct and second their suggestions. There was an earlier build where plants were protected from being over-eaten by foragers, but it made the plant life a little static; in the current build...
  3. Tom Johnson

Fish disease

I really like these suggestions for different ways of indicating disease, thanks for posting them. I'll have to experiment with variants that involve not swimming properly just in case it throws off evolution too much but there is a lot here to work with. Genetic disease is actually a...
  4. Tom Johnson

Questions About The New Update

Ha, good news indeed - thanks for updating me. I am quite a night owl myself so it was definitely a possibility
  5. Tom Johnson

How do i create mating grounds?

Thank you! I think it's around 1.5GB. Also sorry for the late reply - I try to read all the posts here but sometimes, because of development, I only have time to check in once a week or two. I hope you have (or already had) a good time with the demo
  6. Tom Johnson

New Update

Thank you. I worked very hard on the update and tried to take everyone's feedback into account, and it was really heartening to read this post. I'll try to keep it up. :)
  7. Tom Johnson

Questions About The New Update

It doesn't yet, so sorry if you've been going back and forth. Eventually I do hope to model the affects of pressure on creatures, and in early testing, it had a pretty substantial effect on them. I'm also hoping to add marine snow and vent communities to help counterbalance the lack of plants...
  8. Tom Johnson

Major Update for Ecosystem Demo Out Now

I'm glad to hear that you are starting to see some camouflage! The prey don't specifically flee to cover but that is something I've been thinking about working in. One difficulty is that by the time prey are aware of a predator, they are often so close that just going the opposite direction is...
  9. Tom Johnson

Fish that can stay in place like hummingbirds

There is some support for creatures being harder to see in dark places or if they match the foliage, though at the moment their behaviors are quite simple so they are not smart enough to know when to do something like this. Enabling more complex behaviors is definitely on my list but it is...
  10. Tom Johnson

Increased view range/less water opacity

Sure, that's an excellent suggestion and a great candidate for an option in the graphics configuration settings. I've made a note of this and hope to add it soon.
  11. Tom Johnson

More gradual food point income

I think the (now deleted) post was a spambot that snuck by the filters
  12. Tom Johnson

Bug with saved creatures appearing as different things seemlingly at random.

I've seen a few other reports of things going wrong with stored and edited creatures as well. Anything going wrong with saving is very high priority for me, so I will look into this and hopefully have a fix very soon. I appreciate the report and repro steps.
  13. Tom Johnson

Animal with -5.49 Children

For technical reasons, creatures can get negative scores during the initial learning phase, and it seems like in this case the display is parsing the values a little too naively. I'll add in a fix; thanks for letting me know!
  14. Tom Johnson

Wobbly visual effects

Thank you for the report, and the video especially is extremely helpful. There is a blur effect that gets applied when you change the terrain via the terrain generator at the beginning; it almost looks like it somehow got turned on during normal gameplay. I'll check it out.
  15. Tom Johnson

Major Update for Ecosystem Demo Out Now

Thank you, I'm really glad that you liked it! It's a little nerve-wracking to release something after working on it for such a long time so it really helps and is encouraging to read that you had such a good experience. I've also noticed that camouflage is a bit rare. When I first implemented...