some suggestions : freeplay and monthly levels

Blu

Larva
freeplay : since the introduction of leafcutters to freeplay, i have been wondering Something, thus this idea came to me : what if ereptor colonies having unlocked leafcutters could unlock leaf and refuse tiles, to make use of leaves spawning in freeplay (maybe even extand this to all ereptors, and make it just like inlocking an ant, but instead unlocking refuse, leaf tiles, and the ability to grow fungus on nursery tiles). In practice, this means leaves would spawn in every freeplay, adding another source of food, and some nice decoration, and maybe (idk if it works like that) making the code more simple, as it doesnt have to check for leafcutter specifically. this is just a fun idea, mostly for gameplay diversity and map aesthetics, maybe to add later, when the game is done.

monthly level : baby sitting : a warning would be nice when the ally colony will attack a creature group, this could be made just like a wave counter, Nothing too complicated, but they sometimes attack things in rapid succession, which can be surprising

aggrandise and extremis : trapjaws need to cost more, after doing some tests in battle arena, i have seen that trapjaws easily kill leafcutter medias, however medias cost 80 to place, and trapjaws cost 60, so it doesnt really make sense that a stroger ant would cost less. exremis should have either reduced creature Numbers in waves, or give you more time between waves, especially on easy.

That is all.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
aggrandise and extremis : trapjaws need to cost more, after doing some tests in battle arena, i have seen that trapjaws easily kill leafcutter medias, however medias cost 80 to place, and trapjaws cost 60, so it doesnt really make sense that a stroger ant would cost less. exremis should have either reduced creature Numbers in waves, or give you more time between waves, especially on easy.
Only problem is that most balance is centered around the levels themselves. Leafcutters in 3.1 and 3.2 are able to manage with these far increased build costs.

Similarly, black ants are far weaker than wood ants, but this doesn't often show since black ants are in different and wood ants are facing stronger threats in theirs.

A better fix will probably come in the distant future, when we get upgrades for these other species.

Blu

Larva
A better fix will probably come in the distant future, when we get upgrades for these other species.
talking of which...another Campaign, but from the enemy colony's (the one you fight in challenge 3) point of view would be amazing, a nice bit of post-release content, maybe dlc

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
freeplay : since the introduction of leafcutters to freeplay, i have been wondering Something, thus this idea came to me : what if ereptor colonies having unlocked leafcutters could unlock leaf and refuse tiles, to make use of leaves spawning in freeplay (maybe even extand this to all ereptors, and make it just like inlocking an ant, but instead unlocking refuse, leaf tiles, and the ability to grow fungus on nursery tiles). In practice, this means leaves would spawn in every freeplay, adding another source of food, and some nice decoration, and maybe (idk if it works like that) making the code more simple, as it doesnt have to check for leafcutter specifically. this is just a fun idea, mostly for gameplay diversity and map aesthetics, maybe to add later, when the game is done.

On a couple of my test maps I have accidentally got both on the go (leaves and food) however the way things are currently setup it messes with the ants tile space reservation code and food totals get messed up. It would still need to check for the food type as it needs to see if you have the appropriate storage for the food.

Anyway this was actually something I had considered early on in leafcutter development and decided against. Most decisions like this are not made with freeplay in mind. I think for the moment we wont be looking into this purely on the basis that it would be quite a job to do at this point.

monthly level : baby sitting : a warning would be nice when the ally colony will attack a creature group, this could be made just like a wave counter, Nothing too complicated, but they sometimes attack things in rapid succession, which can be surprising

I agree a warning would be useful. Maybe when they put down the marker a minimap ping can happen with some alert text. On top of this I want to come up with a warning when the queen is attacked. Hopefully I can get to this today!

The balance may well be off on this map. I expect players to fail it multiple times as they build up points to unlock things however. I agree media and trap jaws don't really make sense cost wise. They were campaign units and were never really designed to be used in an ereptor colony (medias real advantage is how many leaves they can carry). That said I believe I can safely up the cost of trap jaws without effecting the campaign (as long as the re-spawn cost remains the same) however that will effect the balance of Aggrandise. Will have a think!

Blu

Larva
I think for the moment we wont be looking into this purely on the basis that it would be quite a job to do at this point
alright. I understand you have a lot to work on and things way more important than this. Even though it is a shame, I also understand that games cannot account for every possibility that players may think of.
Hopefully I can get to this today!
nice ! because it can really catch ya off guard sometimes, gathering things in my nest when they just attack the giant tiger beetles right next to their home ! i couldnt get there in time.
The balance may well be off on this map. I expect players to fail it multiple times as they build up points to unlock things however. I agree media and trap jaws don't really make sense cost wise. They were campaign units and were never really designed to be used in an ereptor colony (medias real advantage is how many leaves they can carry). That said I believe I can safely up the cost of trap jaws without effecting the campaign (as long as the re-spawn cost remains the same) however that will effect the balance of Aggrandise. Will have a think!
trapjaws do make the early waves of extremis a piece of cake, as long as ypu can keep up with the timing, which can get hard, but it's ok. I feel extremis is kinda made to be hard, gets the name from "extreme" afterall, so extreme is what you expect. problem is I think the current cost is balanced fro aggrandise, even though i have only played it once. If there is a possibility to change the cost for extremis only ( perhaps through a trapjaw "variant" ) i think that would be good. As i have seen in your streams, code can get very messy, soo this is probably not an option.

On another subject that i don't really know where to put, how will freeplay progress transfer from beta to the official update ? will it even transer at all ?

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
On another subject that i don't really know where to put, how will freeplay progress transfer from beta to the official update ? will it even transer at all ?
We wont be removing any saves, they will still be there. Some things might be saved in those save games however that get changed (such as swarms being blocked from attacking)