[Bug] 0.21142 Extremis victory before all waves are defeated

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
(Sidenote: I found normal difficulty to be quite hard. I am afraid regular players will struggle with this level on normal too much maybe?)

(Sidenote: I found normal difficulty to be quite hard. I am afraid regular players will struggle with this level on normal too much maybe?)
I think it's designed to be that way, the player need to get more upgrade points before getting to higher difficulties : easy allow the player to see what's coming by being able to finish the level, normal is for farm, hard is a big challenge and I don't even know if insane is winable without cheating (AKA using the fight freeze bug)

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I think it's designed to be that way, the player need to get more upgrade points before getting to higher difficulties : easy allow the player to see what's coming by being able to finish the level, normal is for farm, hard is a big challenge and I don't even know if insane is winable without cheating (AKA using the fight freeze bug)
That's not how the devs have said they they wanted difficulty to be. From them talking about how they wanted difficulty to be, this is what I think to have remembered:

- Easy is for getting the game experience without much difficulty. (For RTS beginners or players who don't want much difficulty.)

- Medium is for being accessable, giving some challenge but not too much. (For those who want to have a fight, but not too much.)

- Hard is for challenge, most experienced players will find hard difficulty challenging. (For players who like their games to not be too easy.)

- Insane is for those who need more challenge than hard difficulty can provide. (For players who are a tiny bit insane, like me. They like games to be unforgiving to them.)

I think the medium difficulty on extremis felt more like it was a little past hard difficulty as described here.

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
Maybe you would have an easier time with trap jaw ants.... I saw a video of someone on youtube beating it, and he used trap jaws primarily in the beginning, then started building a lot of wood ants, and built some majors last.

Maybe you would have an easier time with trap jaw ants
that's because the trap jaws are healing and stronger than the normal soldiers so they don't make you loose food but they don't get the upgrades that you can get on the black/wood/leaf cutter ants, I think most of the time the best is to begin with a few trap jaws and a leaf cutter for each group and then as many wood ants as you can

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
That's not how the devs have said they they wanted difficulty to be. From them talking about how they wanted difficulty to be, this is what I think to have remembered:

- Easy is for getting the game experience without much difficulty. (For RTS beginners or players who don't want much difficulty.)

- Medium is for being accessable, giving some challenge but not too much. (For those who want to have a fight, but not too much.)

- Hard is for challenge, most experienced players will find hard difficulty challenging. (For players who like their games to not be too easy.)

- Insane is for those who need more challenge than hard difficulty can provide. (For players who are a tiny bit insane, like me. They like games to be unforgiving to them.)

I think the medium difficulty on extremis felt more like it was a little past hard difficulty as described here.

Just played extremis a bunch of times and I totally agree. I would suggest that easy should be cut down by about 40-50% so it's actually easy (completable with minimal unlocks like only trap jaws and black ants). Medium should become what is currently easy, hard should become what is currently medium, and insane should become what is currently hard. John says he balances hard difficulty around the top of his skill level, and his skill level has clearly been going up! (which brings the entire game difficulty up as well). I know John probably doesn't want to go back to old levels since he has other new stuff to work on, but I definitely recommend these suggestions before Extremis releases, so it's not seen as unbalanced and overly difficult (this level has the most re-playability compared to Aggrandise or Babysitting, so it's probably more important than the other extra levels to nail it's balance so people actually do play it a bunch of times to unlock everything.)

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
I know what is happening here, waves are setup the moment the timer for that wave starts and it is the setup that starts checking for victory. Need the victory check to start sometime after the final wave has spawned not before!

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Regarding the difficulty, I did intend this to be played multiple times before someone beats it on any difficulty (you need to get unlock points to do it) however it may be that medium is too hard. I will drop the difficulty a bit for medium