Screenshot Saturday - Tug of War

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
An upcoming Extra Level for Empires of the Undergrowth - Tug of War! A mode that goes right back to our roots (way back in the day, EotU was originally conceived as a tug-of-war game for tablets) - ants will automatically fight & you'll be given resources at intervals based on several factors.

This will be a game mode that focuses on efficient build plans rather than tactical decisions. Push the AI back and defeat its queen to win!

lGlG3I0.jpg

More images in the Twitter post:

Worth noting - this mode goes right back to Empires of the Undergrowth's roots as an automatic tug-of-war style game. We've come a long way since then, but you can see in this video of a build from 2015 how Tug of War will be similar to that design.

I wonder, did one colony ever won against the other ? I'd love to know more about that ant battle simulation because that's the first time I see it

TheRexYo

Queen
Quite interesting. This might provide an opportunity for people who haven't read my guides to try out the non-formicarium ant species. I have a few questions, if that's okay.

1) Do Army Ant Majors boost the damage of melee ants in general, or just other Army Ants? The in-game tooltip (on 3.2) says that Army Ants boost other Army Ants, whereas John said they boost all ants in one of his livestreams.
2) Since every ant in the game is available in this level, does that mean that future and upcoming ants will be added as well?
3) How are you guys doing? It's been awhile since you had a livestream.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
1) John is right - army ants will buff all friendly units. The exact wording of that tip is relevant to 3.2.
2) Possibly, but we'll probably make a new level altogether rather than alter older ones.
3) Good! John and his family are currently staying with his in-laws; they live quite remotely so their internet is not conducive to streaming. He'll be back home within a week or two. Liam is working on complex navigation changes for the fire ant levels and Matt is doing lovely things with fire ant bridges. I'm here replying to this message.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
I bet this is going to come the 24th.

If I was sure about that I'd be saying so too, but Tug of War is not in the live build and we're not in a position to make a new build at the moment. We'll keep people informed if there are changes to this.