Unlock formicarium levels in freeplay after succeeding them

An idea :

When the early access will be done, I had this idea that, in my opinion, could be interesting.

If the player beat one level in formicarium, this level is unlock in a second category of freeplay. We could distinguish 2 categories in freeplay ; the one we have actually now, where everything can be customized by the player, and one with these unlocked levels.

The idea is to have the possibility to play again the exactly same mission than in the formicarium, but as a different ant specie.

For example, when you beat formicarium in lvl 2.1 Rising Tide, you can play in freeplay as black ant or wood ant in different difficulties.
When the player will unlock Fire Ant, same thing. He will be able to play as fire ants in Rising Tide.

Of course, it poses several problems. FOr example ; How to play leaf cutter in black ant level (for food i mean) or in wood ants levels ? Maybe the solution is simply to allow the player to choose only species that can actually do the job without changing the map.

For example :
1.1 playable by fire ant, black ant and wood ant
1.2 playable by fire ant, black ant and wood ant
2.1 playable by fire ant, black ant and wood ant
2.2 playable by fire ant, black ant and wood ant
3.1 playable by leaf cutter (I'm not sure if the other species can find food in this level)
3.2 playable by fire ant, black ant, leaf cutter and wood ant.

For 4.1 and 4.2, depends if you need to cross rivers

etc etc...

I don't have the answer, but I really like the idea of replayability of a level. Imagine fight the army ant in 3.2 with wood ants or black ants, clean the beach in Rising Tide as Fire ants etc etc...

Last edited:

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
It's a neat idea but it would mean making a lot of new systems to get the scripted events that happen in the single player modes (most notably the timed events like invasions and the narrator's script) working and save-able.

The reason this isn't a thing yet is basically the same reason that the campaign levels don't have saving.

VarmintLP

Queen
Backer
It's a neat idea but it would mean making a lot of new systems to get the scripted events that happen in the single player modes (most notably the timed events like invasions and the narrator's script) working and save-able.

The reason this isn't a thing yet is basically the same reason that the campaign levels don't have saving.
I guess what you mean is that saving the campaign levels would mean that it will throw off the overall round and might be usable to cheat / trick the game.

MedinB

Colony
Another problem is that you can place 4 ant nests. Most levels are designed, for either one base.
Not sure about underground stuff also.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
I guess what you mean is that saving the campaign levels would mean that it will throw off the overall round and might be usable to cheat / trick the game.

Not really, unless we add multiplayer we're not too bothered if people want to trick the game, I meant more that the systems for saving the game-state when a large, complicated scripting event (such as the flow of a level and the dialogue of the narrator) are not in place and will take a long time to design.