Search results

1. Serafine

Screen Shot Saturday - Leafcutter Interface & Mechanics

From what I've read the minims will not upgrade, not be controllable and not take part in any fighting action. They're basically cosmetic entities.
  2. Serafine

Ant Keepers United

3. Serafine

Idle ants

I noticed that idle ants especially around the queen tend to run around A LOT, this obviously puts quite some strain on the system (especially due to the constant pathfinding). The thing is - it's not necessary. Idle ants don't run around. Actually they will basically stay in place until they...
  4. Serafine

Workers Useless

Actually both Formica fusca and Formica rufa are slightly polymorphic with small workers and bigger larger-headed workers. The largest F. rufa workers are about twice as long as the smallest ones. According to new studies there isn't really a dedicated soldier class in any ant species -...
  5. Serafine

**HOTFIX** - V0.1351 Released, 2 Major Issues Fixed

Oh wow, that explains a lot. I was wondering but i didn't realize there was an actual bug.
  6. Serafine

New Forum!

Looks great so far! :)
  7. Serafine

Screen Shot Saturday - Jumping Spider

But can it dance, too? ;D
  8. Serafine

Ant Keepers United

I'm not really familiar with US species but your idea sounds good to me. Here's a basic guide on queen hunting from the r/antkeeping reddit wiki: https://www.reddit.com/r/antkeeping/wiki/guides/finding_queens You can also ask people on the Discord Antkeeping Chat, we have a channel called...
  9. Serafine

Ant Keepers United

Giving them honey in a dish is fine, the drops should just be really really small (like the size of an ant head). You can use a toothpick to place those tiny drops, young colonies don't really eat much anyway. Harvester ants usually form large trails into a general foraging area from where the...
  10. Serafine

Ant Keepers United

Formica fusca should be hibernating right now (at around 10-15°C). Ants of the genus Formica do not hibernate with brood (contrary to most other ants that hibernate with larvae) so they stop laying eggs relatively early in the year (usually around late August/early September) because their eggs...
  11. Serafine

Ant Keepers United

Getting to 4 workers isn't too bad for the start and maybe you didn't even do anything wrong - sometimes queens just die for no obvious reason. Pogos are quite excentric ants, I'd recommend to do a bit of research on pages like Formiculture. There's a lot of stuff in which Pogos are quite...
  12. Serafine

Formica Sanguinea Species Mixing

As far as I know the fusca slaves don't take parts in the raids. They stay in the nest and take care of the slavekeepers' brood (and occasionally they start a rebellion where they cut apart parts of the sanguinea brood).
  13. Serafine

Ant Keepers United

My girls have gone into their sort-of-hibernation low activity diapause mode, they are still active but there's not much happening in terms of brood development. This picture is from early October and gives a perfect impression of how most ants store their brood. It's more of a chaotic mess...
  14. Serafine

New Ants

We do so far have: - Formica fusca - Formica rufa Next update we get: - Leafcutters (judging by the size probably Acromyrmex) - Odontomachus sp (Trapjaw ants, non-playable) - Army ants (from the looks probably Eciton sp., non-playable) So if they make trapjaws and army ants playable we're at 5...
  15. Serafine

Screen Shot Saturday - Spiny Devil

If we're going for realism here we should also get a mobile F. fusca queen because those things actually run faster than their workers. That's basically the fusca survival strategy - they use their superior speed to bully smaller ants (they steal food from ants like Lasius niger, sometimes even...
  16. Serafine

Why do Queens get Stunned?

Formica rufa queens have to murder a Formica fusca queen (and any supsicious workers) to found their own colony. They are pretty badass, they know how to kill stuff. And have you ever seen Formica fusca queens? Those ants aren't dumb. If they realize they get attacked by Formica rufa or...
  17. Serafine

The answer is always rufa if available. Seriously, those things need a balancing pass at some point.
  18. Serafine

Jumping Spider funsies

It gets even better with this fantastic piece of music ;D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97QkO7nAn68
  19. Serafine

That thing looks scary o_O
  20. Serafine

Jumping Spider funsies

Jumping spiders don't really jump that high, it's more like a DASH forward with a very low arc (the jumping part is mostly to increase the range, at short distances or if jumping at a target below their own height jumping spiders travel almost in a straight line). They do this so fast that they...