Ants knocked back into unreachable terrain

Hey,

This bug probably isn't very relevant because I've only ever seen it once and only one insect in a very specific way can do it. When doing level 3.2 on insane, I was fighting the adult whip spider just south of the colony entrance. When the adult whip spider did its knockback, one of the ants landed on a holey section of ground and then became bugged. No bugs were able to target/aggro it and it just got stuck because this section of ground isn't reachable - the ants path around it.
Relatively minor; the only insect I know of that could do this is the adult whip spider but maybe something to look in to when you have time and depending on future insect mechanics.

MedinB

Colony
Have you guys heard of a Navmesh? A Navmesh is an abstract data structure used in artificial intelligence applications to aid agents in pathfinding through complicated spaces. (That is what Google said). It's preventing the ants from walking into a specific place/area. A custom “Access Denied!” However, how did this Navmesh thing not work properly? I am not a developer, so I'm quite clueless.

Also, can you put an image at what hole?

Last edited:

Mr_Ced

Colony
Have you guys heard of a Navmesh? A Navmesh is an abstract data structure used in artificial intelligence applications to aid agents in pathfinding through complicated spaces. (That is what Google said) at the edge of lets say an island around a hole or whatever (EOTU) there is a red area that won't allow any ants to pass through it. It will act as a whole “Access Denied” “Access DENIED” “ ACCESS DENIED!” but any terrain is flat and apart from the map it will be walkable so that hole at the bottom is walkable. I have no clue how did a knock back break this Red Navmesh thing it failed.

Also, can you put an image at what hole?
The red part of the Navmesh is only a suggestion to the ant's pathfinding that they shouldn't got there. If you watched their streams you would know this.

Seally

Larva
I think MedinBurnic was using "red part" to mean an area not covered by a navmesh. There is no innate meaning for the colour red to mean "I shouldn't go there" other than to be a visual guide for the user (it's meaningless to the game's code, and in lower-level code the navmesh labels will probably be represented by something like integer/enum*).

In more complicated systems, you might even end up with several different navmesh labels for say, an entity using legs, "sticky" legs (like spiders, geckos, and insects), wheels, player characters, or NPCs. Which colours you use represent each of those navmesh "groups" is basically up to whatever the dev assigns them to.

In any case, for practical reasons, you probably won't want the visual overlay to mark unmeshed areas with any kind of visual overlay whatsoever. If it's meshed, display a mesh-looking overlay. If it isn't, don't display the overlay. There's no need to colour the entire background of the level editor (which I know is unmeshed) in red, after all.

*The color itself can be used as the enum (basically, programmer-friendly magic constants) of course, but this would be disastrously poor engine design since it tightly couples editor metadata to the output code, making previous compilations useless whenever you change what a colour represents (the compiled code will contain the actual value of the constants, not its name).