Balance for Babysitting?

Mr_Ced

Colony
I just now completed it on Medium. I think the trick here is to stay by the other player's base to respond to attacks better.
By the way Slug Disco, this level is FUN!

MedinB

Colony
I just now completed it on Medium. I think the trick here is to stay by the other player's base to respond to attacks better.
By the way Slug Disco, this level is FUN!
Okay maybe is, I see that the yellow colony when it attacks those big crabs near its colony base or whatever, they probably die.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Okay maybe is, I see that the yellow colony when it attacks those big crabs near its colony base or whatever, they probably die.
Something in this level: Most enemy groups are triggered to attack the nest of the ant force that attacked them. If you attack those crabs, they will go to your nest instead of theirs.

Mr_Ced

Colony
I have also noticed that if you attack something, they will assist you. I figured this out by clicking, "Play More" and attempting to kill the hidden Uber Crab. They came right over to help!

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I think the mission itself is balanced if you know in what order things are going to happen?
The main problem I had with myself was going against my instincts to keep my forces at my nest to defend it, as there were many enemies on the doorstep.
I played it enough to know which groups attack where, allowing me to defend in full force. The thing that has kept me from winning on hard difficulty is ants getting stuck in the allied nest:
I think the player needs to get a headsup to know when and where to defend, as ants are far slower than most enemies and may need more time to travel than enemies need to kill the ally.

Mr_Ced

Colony
The main problem I have is that everything happens all too quickly, leaving me with no time to build up food supplies and/or build more ants.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Something I've noticed is the wolfspiders right next to the allied nest are not consistent. Sometimes only 1 is in range to attack and sometimes it's 2.

MedinB

Colony
Well, I've gone ahead to the other side where the colony is. I killed the beetle larvae traps, when I was going to the Wolf Spiders I and the colony haven't killed yet, a tiger beetle out of nowhere strikes then the whole pack of them strikes goes straight for my colony. I was able to defeat the beetles but yeesh!

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
How long have we been playing EoTU like what, 100 hours or more? And we are struggling to even beat a level on easy. Eh...
Since it hasn't really been said, I do think this level should be easier on the lower difficulties. "Easy" should be more of an accessibility mode, where there's not all too much pressure and you can play with very little optimization.

3.1 and 3.2 could use a similar rework at a later date, as their easy modes took some time and RNG to get through. 3.1 in particular I remember a lot of people who played on easy normally struggled with.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I do think the funnel webs in this level are a bit of a problem for higher difficulties. There is no way to effectively fight them so far from the nest and with mortar wood ants. The respawn rate is so slow a few spiders can kill all the player's forces very quickly. On top of that the mortar wood ants restart their firing cycle upon changing targets, making them almost never fire and when they do fire they do not hit.
A way to combat this is to allow the player to overwhelm the spiders by seperating their webs, making the player fight against each spider pack individually. (Instead of fighting against all spiders at once.)

On top of that the mortar wood ants restart their firing cycle upon changing targets, making them almost never fire and when they do fire they do not hit.
I think that will be fixed once they finalize their reworking of the splash damage, as they will make damage even though they don't land a direct hit

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I think that will be fixed once they finalize their reworking of the splash damage, as they will make damage even though they don't land a direct hit
But that will not do anything with the firing cycle. It is an issue that makes the mortar ants extremely weak against anything that moves back and forth. Constantly entering and exiting its firing range.

But that will not do anything with the firing cycle. It is an issue that makes the mortar ants extremely weak against anything that moves back and forth. Constantly entering and exiting its firing range.
yeah your right but to be fair the mortar need this weakness because they're just overpowered against everything else, but if the devs. allow them to get a more efficient firing cycle the will need to weaken their other stats

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
yeah your right but to be fair the mortar need this weakness because they're just overpowered against everything else, but if the devs. allow them to get a more efficient firing cycle the will need to weaken their other stats
They still can't really hit fast moving targets, but they will at least fire to have a chance to hit. Mortars also have been made much weaker, their area damage falls off over distance from the impact. (Making them cause way less damage against enemies packed together.)

(Making them cause way less damage against enemies packed together.)
I don't think enemies packed together is ever a problem as a full chamber of lvl 3 wood ants will easily wipe them out whatever they are, (I personnally think the difficulty in freeplay would rather be the dozens of ubers wich at 300 - 400 % difficulty becomes basically invincible by any ant army)
Despite this I haven't played since the last update so it might have changed