[Bug] 0.2131 Formicarium challenge 3 scientist's hand not crushing ants when it should

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I was messing around a bit with the formicarium save data and then tried formicarium challenge 3 with the edited colony, when the scientist's hand bugged out:
I will try and see if it has something to do with him tapping the glass.

MedinB

Colony
4:30! LoL

Also, I noticed another bug, I think. I'm not sure if this was a video error but at 3:33 look up, you see some trap jaw sinking, then coming back up?

Last edited:

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
4:30! LoL
Oops, yes... I forgot to mention the time. (Thank you!)

Also, I noticed another bug, I think. I'm not sure if this was a video error but at 3:33 look up, you see some trap jaw sinking, then coming back up?
I am trying to see it, but I can't find any trapjaw ants sinking in the terrain around 3:33.

What I also found out about is that the scientist's hand can get confused if you are fighting outside the nest, but still have most of your ants inside. The level can then try to make the scientist knock the glass, but the scientist audio is the only thing that happens. There is no knocking or screenshake with damage and stun as a result.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Looking how fast your ants are and stuff that just gave me ideas. Don't ask.
I 'upgraded' the minor upgrades, including the ereptor workers' speed improvement, to level 255. So workers are very fast.
I also encountered something odd. For some reason my ereptor workers with 255 lvl improved gather only harvest 30 food from a corpse at a time, even though the upgrade menu says it would be over 100. It would require 40 upgrades of the food gather improvement to get over 30 food carry size, so this issue should be reachable without editing stats.

MedinB

Colony
I 'upgraded' the minor upgrades, including the ereptor workers' speed improvement, to level 255. So workers are very fast.
I also encountered something odd. For some reason my ereptor workers with 255 lvl improved gather only harvest 30 food from a corpse at a time, even though the upgrade menu says it would be over 100. It would require 40 upgrades of the food gather improvement to get over 30 food carry size, so this issue should be reachable without editing stats.
Odd. My colony is now much better! :p Well I won't make it so OP, just a little eh?

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Odd. My colony is now much better! :p Well I won't make it so OP, just a little eh?
Don't worry. Editing the colony save file is mainly for testing purposes. It allows me to reach upgrade levels that would require a few days of farming to reach otherwise.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
I'm not sure if issues with edited colonies can really be classed as bugs - we can't really be in the business of supporting happenings outside of the set game saving system. There's the recent spate of frozen, passive creatures too which only start appearing after guides were created for editing the save files.

If you want to edit save files externally then have your go, but we can't support issues created by them.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
There's the recent spate of frozen, passive creatures too which only start appearing after guides were created for editing the save files.
I had the issue with frozen creatures before my first attempt at editing a save file a few weeks ago. And my first successful attempt at loading an edited colony save file was one week ago. So I think the frozen creatures appearing after the guides appeared is a coincidence.

I'm not sure if issues with edited colonies can really be classed as bugs - we can't really be in the business of supporting happenings outside of the set game saving system.
I understand that in most cases you can't do much with an issue that happened with an edited colony. I do not expect anything to be done with this, but I will still share my thoughts on this issue. So far, these are the different scenarios I can think of:
1. It was not caused by the editing. Then it should be triggerable without an edited colony. (An issue)
2. It was caused by a bad edit. (I think I only changed the "IntProperty" value stored of the "...Improvement". But still, errare humanum est.) (My fault)
3. It was indirectly caused by the editing because it elevated a/multiple upgrade values to unreachable levels. (Not an issue)
4. It was indirectly caused by the editing because it elevated a/multiple upgrade values to high (but not unreachable) levels. (A rare issue?)