Challenge 3

Is there a reason why Challenge 3 have an unlimited source of ants? With 4,000 food and over 100 ants, I can't even come close to their nest even if i rush over there as soon as the tunnel is put in. Have been stuck on this for 2 weeks now =( I watched another youtube video of someone playing this level and they only had a fraction of the amount of ants that show up in my game.

MedinB

Colony
This is strategy, the choices you made effect on this. Lvl 3 mortar ants are VERY useful here. I think there is also something called the "Minor Improvement System" Click on a ant or queen in the DNA unlocking Gene Thief whatever, and see that 2nd down button? Click it, you can make improvements, this helped me big time. The amount of Jelly is probably for those upgrades which you get around 300 if you do extra Royal Jelly for first bonus award (3.X)

See if that works, you probably need more Majors or Wood Ants (Mortar), you'll see make sure play on a difficulty you are comfortable with.

Last edited:

pakitane16

Colony
Here is how I do it on medium using vanilla ereptor (only species and lv3 unlocked, no other upgrade needed):
1. 19 taunt leafcutter and 38 mortar wood ants, 38 black ants. More leafcutter if you do hard. All lv3.
2. At least 25 workers, with a group of 7 for suicide mission.
3. Turn off food gathering. When the enemy start to spawn, send your suicide squad in. Enemy will charge when continuously provoked.
4. Your entire army stay in the tube, wait for enemy to come. The movement pattern makes them easy to single out when they advance so no attack buff.
5. When the first wave is defeated wait till the second wave spawn and repeat. Your suicide squad will also act as scout to see if they have any food left. Don't ever let your enemy stay defensive, a wall of army ants repels everything but a wall of spiny crickets.
6. Queen ability: turn off attack, let your army kill workers when slowly advancing to the queen, when most of your force surrounds the queen, turn on attack. On medium royal guards are weak. On hard, you need lots of leafcutter to tank through the 30 second invincibility.
Hope this help. It takes about 1500 to 2500 food. It cost less if you use your royale jelly to upgrade.

Last edited:
It is on easy mode.19 workers 37 of the rapid fire ants 12 of the giant ants 77 of the regular black ants 145/150 for capacity playing on easy. All level 3 upgraded.

5. When the first wave is defeated wait till the second wave spawn and repeat. Your suicide squad will also act as scout to see if they have any food left. Don't ever let your enemy stay defensive, a wall of army ants repels everything but a wall of spiny crickets.

replying to that, There are no waves, just one long red line of continuous ants from their spawn into my entrance.

pakitane16

Colony
1st picture: If that's how you start the fight then you are in trouble. The enemy usually takes 2 minutes to group up before attacking, hence the "waves", and as I said, a wall of army ants kill everything. You stay too close to home, which means when your vanguard get destroyed, you can't regroup or retreat, the scientist will be the one to kill you. Start on the right of the tube, when you feel like overwhelmed, regroup to the left. It requires some timing to make the army ants cooldown before fighting them again.
2nd picture: You can see the end of the wave there, the new red dots are respawn. Because you don't kill enough ants to force the AI to retreat and regroup, their respawn will keep coming straight to you, not forming wave. With the way ants move in this game, the suicide squad can make them fight in a thinner line, you can overswarm them that way.
Rapidfire wood ant and stunt leacutter are only good in their niche: killing fast targets like spiders and stunt lock Uber creatures. But using the strategy above is still useful. You need more leafcutter though.

Last edited:
I started fighting in front of their base, then after the scientist squishes half of my ants, that's their push into my area. how do i get the mortar ants once I have already chosen these rapid fire ants? I chose them a while back and now I can't seem to change to the mortar ones. My point in this thread is that there seems to be a lot bigger wave in my easy setting than I have been seeing in other youtube videos. Once the Scientist does his squishy thing because "it seems too easy", sit is just one giant stream after another of ants where I can't regroup. At this point, it has been 2 weeks. I am over redoing levels to get more food to maybe ride out their endless waves.

1st picture: If that's how you start the fight then you are in trouble. The enemy usually takes 2 minutes to group up before attacking, hence the "waves", and as I said, a wall of army ants kill everything. You stay too close to home, which means when your vanguard get destroyed, you can't regroup or retreat, the scientist will be the one to kill you. Start on the right of the tube, when you feel like overwhelmed, regroup to the left. It requires some timing to make the army ants cooldown before fighting them again.
2nd picture: You can see the end of the wave there, the new red dots are respawn. Because you don't kill enough ants to force the AI to retreat and regroup, their respawn will keep coming straight to you, not forming wave. With the way ants move in this game, the suicide squad can make them fight in a thinner line, you can overswarm them that way.
Rapidfire wood ant and stunt leacutter are only good in their niche: killing fast targets like spiders and stunt lock Uber creatures. But using the strategy above is still useful. You need more leafcutter though.

Last edited:

pakitane16

Colony
Stay in the tube on the right side and use suicide squad. It's the best way to get the scientist not to involve. Don't ever come to their nest before the suicide squad get inside safely.
To choose mortar, you can only start a new formicarium, it takes about 8 hours to reach this point again (just play easy) if you know how to manage your resource. This level can be beaten with rapidfire though, you just need strategy and some timing skill.
I think the number of ants are the same in all difficulty, just a lot more food and more lv3 ants on higher difficulty, meaning more waves, and of course the queen's 30 sec of invincibility.

Tried everything you guys wrote. This game is just horseshit non stop waves of ants. Tried the right of the glass thing and the waves just shoves it back all the way to the nest where they congregate and you can't re setup anymore. I find it ridiculous that you need a specific combo to win even on easy. I didn't go the taunt route nor did i got the mortar ants because I chose them way earlier and i find it ridiculous that I have to start over just to have the combo needed to beat this level. I am done with this game. Thanks for the advice.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Tried everything you guys wrote. This game is just horseshit non stop waves of ants. Tried the right of the glass thing and the waves just shoves it back all the way to the nest where they congregate and you can't re setup anymore. I find it ridiculous that you need a specific combo to win even on easy. I didn't go the taunt route nor did i got the mortar ants because I chose them way earlier and i find it ridiculous that I have to start over just to have the combo needed to beat this level. I am done with this game. Thanks for the advice.

I'd really like to see a recording of what you're doing. You really don't need a specific combo for easy mode.

If you're playing on anything but easy mode, the enemy colony has queen abilities that work the exact same way your own ones do. So once you've dealt with their free respawning of all their ants you have a five minute cooldown before they can do it again.

MedinB

Colony
Keep in mind this. Remember, they have food too. They can steal your food. Plus, the Army Ants have an ability if 5 – 6 are in a group the longer they are in combat the more frenzied they get.

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
In harder difficulties the enemy colony cheats. In insane they will receive multiple food injections when you are not in there underground. I do not think it is the case for easier difficulties. Also they have a lot of resources when the game starts so make sure you have plenty.

I am looking at the difficulty of this challenge again. Will probably be toning it down at all levels (including insane) as with the introduction of achievements people will want it to be doable without grinding for days.

it's funny because my colony is so old that it's overpowered i just crush the ennemies by simply asking my ants to run for their queen as soon as the formicariums are connected

Moosegun

Larva
Ecosystem Beta Tester
First post, so got to start by saying well done on the game, bloody brilliant, really looking forward to seeing where it goes. Got the game a few days ago and hit it pretty hard, gets better and better.

In regards to the OP, I just completed challenge on medium for the first time, i dont watch videos so might have a different approach. Having tried the challenge a few times and failed i focused on getting the army pretty maxed. I had a full army, split pretty evenly amongst 4 types, all leveled as high as i could get them, mortars seemed to work v well. 4k food in the bank, also important to make sure you have enough workers in base to keep eggs / troops moving.
  • Started defensive waited for them to pushed
  • Held my side of the tunnel until first wave done
  • Pushed through held their side
  • When scientist starts to squish stuff I pushed into their base
  • Cleared as much as I could then sent tanks to hit queen, pulled all other troops back to my base to save food
  • Waited for queen skill, defended it on my side of tunnel
  • Attacked again, killed queen
If that helps??

I ended up caving and remaking a new campaign. I think the first campaign was glitched in a way where the waves were endless even on easy. This time I did easy and beat it without having much food and not fully upgrading all the ants. It went the way I saw it happen on youtube. I don't know what causes the first run to send endless waves, but it sure was frustrating. Ended up not playing the game for about 4 months.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
In harder difficulties the enemy colony cheats. In insane they will receive multiple food injections when you are not in there underground.
That explains so much!
I waited with invading the enemy nest to first stock up a bit on food, as there was food dropped in the enemy formicarium. (I went into enemy nest to check if they had run out of food, they had.)
Shortly thereafter all of a sudden a wave of enemy ants rushed out of the enemy nest and killed my unprepared forces, then they quickly took all the food that was left on the surface.