Could RAM Scarcity Cause Bugs?

Mr_Ced

Colony
One thing I noticed while inspecting the other computer is how much RAM it had. About double in total of what I have. After a bit of investigation, I discovered that while I did have 4 GB of RAM (Minimum requirement) I only had around 3.84 GB actually available for use.
This could be the cause of this bug since it deals with something that needs to be remembered. In other words, my computer doesn't have the power to remember what's going on off screen.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
More RAM is generally better, but a lack of it is likely to cause outright crashes rather than strange things like creatures freezing when not looking at them.

I think 3.84 is right btw if you have "4" - manufacturing lingo generally uses the definition of 1 gigabyte = 1000 megabytes, when in practical computing terms 1 gigabyte is actually 1024 megabytes, so that accounts for the "lost" 0.16 gb.

Mr_Ced

Colony
More RAM is generally better, but a lack of it is likely to cause outright crashes rather than strange things like creatures freezing when not looking at them.

I think 3.84 is right btw if you have "4" - manufacturing lingo generally uses the definition of 1 gigabyte = 1000 megabytes, when in practical computing terms 1 gigabyte is actually 1024 megabytes, so that accounts for the "lost" 0.16 gb.
The search continues then!

VarmintLP

Queen
Backer

Yeah I can confirm that the trickery of the USB-Stick maker companies is pretty nasty. Instead of giving you 8 GB = 8,388,608 KB (8 GB * 1024 * 1024) they give you 8 000 000 KB (8 x 1000 x 1000).
To explain why 1024 it is basically due to binary. To make it short our PC stores info in 0s and 1s. One of those is called a bit. and 8 bit = 1 Byte. Now each character make out of one Byte. So basically 01001011 is binary for the number 75 and 11111111 = 255 = the maximum value of 1 Byte. If you count 0 too that gives the Byte 256 options of a value. Now since each bit can have 2 different values that basically means 2^8 = 1Bit = 256 options. Now just add more bit and you get to the next closest values / numbers to 1024.
256 * 2 = 512. 512 * 2 =1024.
And that is why in IT it is always calculated from 1024 instead of 1000 and because nearly nobody knows people keep wondering why their 8 GB USB stick cannot actually store a full 8 GB (8.388.608 KB) of files and is basically missing. 21.59 MB of storage. Not very noticable until you get to a TB. :)

And yes I went WAY too deep with this but it was good to refresh my knowledge too or at least to see how much I had remembered from school. ;)

person111

Colony
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Well I don’t know much about USB sticks and how their data works so seeing an explanation that is very in-depth surprises me