Early Access Starts 1st December

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Finally.

You've all been amazingly patient, understanding and supportive as we've worked through our list of tasks and solved our problems, but we are entirely delighted to announce that Empires of the Undergrowth will be entering early access on December 1st, 2017!

Early access brings an entire overhaul of the game - the biggest of which is Formicarium Mode, where you build an ant colony in a lab and upgrade it by playing missions out in the wild as different species of ant! There are four entirely new missions, two special challenges for your Formicarium, and you can explore the bountiful yet dangerous outworld above your nest.

This means the game will be for sale on Steam, and those of you who already have a copy (by backing the game or through itch.io) will be able to download it through Steam on this date!

It's been a tough few weeks for our dev team. We've taken feedback from beta testers, worked through a huge number of game-breaking glitches, balanced, tweaked and tinkered. Obviously that won't stop - when early access is underway we'll still be listening to suggestions and responding to balance issues, whilst we begin work on the first new content for early access.

So you'll all be building your formicariums and battling the critters of the undergrowth in two weeks. In the meantime, enjoy the epic announcement trailer!

HTML:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LPFrvBdo5T0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Raptorofwar said:
Also, I noticed the ants are ignoring the hermit crabs. The crabs will be neutral then?

No, that's more just Liam's little cinematic setup for the trailer. He wanted certain things to happen (like some crabs running about) so in the version of the game he made for his trailer he turned off aggro for certain things.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
complaint posting said:
is this the place to ask where i can donate? i heard that if i do ill get a steam key but i sure hope its worth it. also what does preview do

You'll be able to buy the game on Steam very soon, on 1st December.

But if you want to play with an extra level for the next two weeks (it's called Holdout) you can buy the game on itch.io. That will give you a Steam key so you can download the early access on the 1st, and you'll be able to download a the version with the extra level from itch.io in the meantime.

https://slugdisco.itch.io/empires-of-the-undergrowth

Before you do that though, I've replied to your other thread. I'm not sure your PC is of the required specs to run the game, so go and check that other thread first so you don't spend money unnecessarily.

Romansrule1234

Larva
Backer
Hey, don't know what is going on because it is the 1'st December, is it time zone related? I checked steam's time zone and it should be available for download. I'm just hyped to get the game.

Mulledyr

Larva
Backer
On Steam the release has been changed to the 5 December they did it just as i was going to start downloading the game????

*Update* Just got my answer on steam just started downloading now ;D

what gives, i go to the steam store to get a copy and it now says december 7th. not a good first day of early access and a few grumpy people that wanted to get their copy. i was going to stream the game today but i cant now coz of steam store mess up GG. fix peeps dont leave the fans upset for long.

Edit: managed to find a copy on that silly itch thing bad transaction medium making customer fill in forms and jump through hoops to get their key, it was a frsutrating experience to get a key i hope you guys can fix that later, i know a quite a few peole that would giveup before the checkout on itch

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
MalusDraco said:
what gives, i go to the steam store to get a copy and it now says december 7th. not a good first day of early access and a few grumpy people that wanted to get their copy. i was going to stream the game today but i cant now coz of steam store mess up GG. fix peeps dont leave the fans upset for long.

Edit: managed to find a copy on that silly itch thing bad transaction medium making customer fill in forms and jump through hoops to get their key, it was a frsutrating experience to get a key i hope you guys can fix that later, i know a quite a few peole that would giveup before the checkout on itch

It's entirely our fault and we apologise. Steam couldn't approve the version we submitted to them so we've had to work round it in a huge way. We really, really didn't want the launch to go this way but we've now got to work with what we have.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Yes. Thankfully someone at Valve looked at the game again (I can't speculate since I have no idea how their system works but this time we were approved very quickly).

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Moosy I had a look, it looks like you have claimed a steam key through itch, so do I assume you have sorted this out?

Im not a backer per say. I did buy the early access though. I was a little sceptical at first about the game, but man was I surprised. This game is addicting and extremely fun. :D

Had the game for three days and have already beat everything on hard. Cant wait for you guys to drop more content. (yeah i know it was just released... LOL)

Great job!!

when is the next update coming?

it was so fun to play it and I finished it in 5 days it was very hard on the last level. I hope the next update is fast to come :)