Early Access - Why is there not a date yet? Beta / EA info

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Hi all,

A large majority of the questions we receive are to do with when we'll be releasing the EA version of the game, and that's understandable since the release date on Steam says summer 2017. Now we're coming to the end of summer and we haven't given a firm release date yet - and there's good reason for that. Quite simply we aren't quite sure when we'll feel confident enough to commit to a date, but as soon as we are we'll update the Steam release date and let everyone know.

The issue here was compounded by Steam putting us in "new early access releases", so some people assume we were keeping them deliberately in the dark. This was an oversight on our part - a long time ago when we first got our Steam app ID we chose an arbitrary date far enough into the future that we didn't need to worry about it, and we were put in new releases even though the game isn't released. We're sorry about that and it has been rectified.

So the question now is - how close are we? Most of the visual assets (models, animations, textures) are ready. Almost all of the music is done. Our narrator has recorded his dialogue. Sound effects are close to completion. The main issue we're facing now is our six ambitious EA levels, some of which are throwing up unexpected complications with the scripting and integrating the music and sound, as well as dealing with AI and pathing issues but we're pushing through.

Before the EA release happens, there will be a closed beta period. Being a beta tester was a reward tier for our Kickstarter; it is no longer available. Around 900 people will be able to take part in the beta. Beta participants will have their current demos updated through Steam to be the beta version when that happens.

It's looking increasingly likely that we won't hit the summer for the actual EA release, but we still hope to for the beta. For those wondering - in the UK (where Slug Disco is based) summer officially ends on September 22nd. The beta will not be an extended one - a few weeks whilst our testers root out lots of bugs and balance issues for us. Once that wraps up, we will finally be able to unleash our little ant game upon the world, and get to work on the first new content of early access.

Just a closing thought for this - we really do appreciate your enthusiasm for this project, it's blown us all away and we're so desperate not to disappoint you that we really can't rush this. Your patience is hugely appreciated and believe us we can't wait for you all to get your hands on it - but we don't want to give you something we don't feel is worthy of your time.

All the best,
The Slug Disco team

Thanks ant fans. Thantfans.

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Keeping Camponotus ants I know patience :p
Looking forward to the beta. I'm sure it's gonna be great when it's there.

Planemaster

Worker
I honestly wouldn't mind if I had to wait till next year for this. As long as it comes out well, that's good enough for me. Rushed games never end up well.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Closed beta access was a Kickstarter reward tier, so we already have our testers ready. It won't last overly long though - so once the beta starts early access will be out to the rest of you within a few weeks.

Raptorofwar

Queen
Backer
But I've got ants in my pants waiting! :mad:
Spend all the time you want thought to make the game more amazing than it already is. :)

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
I'll ask John to give you the backer's badge (it isn't automatic). The game isn't out yet.

Raptorofwar

Queen
Backer
I noticed that on Steam, the release date got changed to Autumn 2017. Hopefully this will get narrowed down soon?