[Feedback] Nature is brutal

I have been obsessed with this game since I discovered it. The enthusiasm the team must have for ants is really contagious. I especially love the little factoids the voiceover and hint text gives about the various things you encounter in the game!

I had a particularly amazing game last night, and I just wanted to share some feedback on why I thought it was so great.
I was playing 3.2 on hard mode and had just beaten the ants back past the left bracket (and already taken care of that big whip spider). Night came, so I figured I'd spend the night stockpiling food for a big fight the next day.

Everything goes fine in the night, and day comes. I take up a position in the center of the map where I can cut off the frontline of the ants without drawing too much aggro from nearby critters. We start to fight, and I go check up on my nest. Wait, is this a second wave being spawned already? Oh no, the army ants must have come back way stronger! Abort!

As I frantically redirected my second wave to foraging grounds rather than a war we clearly can't win, I realized the true face of the crisis I was facing: four fully grown mantises had taken up camp on every path that leading to and from my nest, and they were just destroying my ants left and right in a feeding frenzy!

For the next few days, we struggled to survive. At times we were reduced to two workers making stealth leaf gathering runs. All the while, the army ants kept inching closer and closer, casually crossing back into the territory we had sacrificed so many lives to win. When they arrived at our front doors, an army of mediae with no majors was all that was there to greet them. But we weren't going without a fight, and this one would be on our territory. But wait, why is their attacking force so small?

THE MANTISES. The army ants had found us and wanted our queen's head, but they hadn't seen the mantises either! For DAYS the army ants sent wave after wave of soldiers to their deaths at the mandibles of the mantises. We collected what foliage remained accessible during this time, but we knew it wouldn't make a difference in the end. Even if the mantises kept the army ants away, there was no way for us to gather foliage at our current strength.

It was a slow death, as most are. The army ants eventually took out enough of the mantises that they were able to eliminate what remained of our once-legendary and feared army. After that, the queen didn't stand a chance.

But the queen has sisters. Many. And I know that, soon, one of them will find these tunnels, set up home, and sow the seeds of vengeance upon these soils.

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
The Mantises can be brutal, their camouflage means you can often not spot them until they are on top of you and when you get behind in this level is is very hard to catch back up. You sound determined though! I believe in your queens!