Formica archboldi - A New Ranged Unit

TheRexYo

Queen
Formica archboldi is a species of ant that sprays Formic Acid on its foes, similar to Wood Ants. However, it has a couple of unique quirks that distinguish it from its woodland cousins. For starters, it has an odd habit of collecting Trap-Jaw skulls and storing them in its nest. Yes, you heard that right. Trap-Jaw skulls. This tiny ant manages to kill the kings of firepower. How, you may ask? By imitating the chemical odor of its prey and then immobilizing them with acid.

My suggestion is to add it as a new unit in Tier 2 or 3 (perhaps you can unlock it after completing an Extra Level?). In-game, it will operate as a stealthy shooter, with low range but high firepower. Basically, a shotgun ant. In addition, it should have a low threat generation due to its relatively small size and ability to imitate its foes scent.

We need more options for ranged. Let's face it - Wood Ants get kinda' boring over time. Why not mix things up a little, eh? :)

person111

Colony
Ecosystem Beta Tester
But that would take a lot of work since they would need to implement a mechanic where the Formica archboldi ants collect the skull of Trap-jaws and there would need to be another mechanic where the ants imitate its "prey" I guess scent.

TheRexYo

Queen
But that would take a lot of work since they would need to implement a mechanic where the Formica archboldi ants collect the skull of Trap-jaws and there would need to be another mechanic where the ants imitate its "prey" I guess scent.
Like I said, they don't need to implement the Trap-Jaw mechanics, and they only need to give it a lower "threat" generation, which automatically makes them less likely to be targeted ("prey imitation").

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
There is a good video talking about there acid spraying and skull collection. Interesting species indeed!