Freeplay Beta Now Available! Instructions within.....

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
We have activated the beta for Freeplay and are opening it up to all owners on Steam! If you'd like to participate and are familiar with joining beta branches on Steam, here is your access code:

betatestants

If you're not, please follow the instructions in this post on our Steam forums:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/463530/discussions/0/3211505894108961652/

That post also has a detailed changelog; there have been many fundamental changes to the game that this update introduces.

Note that the beta is Windows only. We're likely to release it for Mac and Linux a short while before the end of the beta period to ensure things are working properly.

As an added bonus, we're also adding in the Battle Arena at the same time! This mode allows you to test creature army compositions against each other to see how they work. Find it in the "Other Modes" main menu option along with Freeplay.

We're interested on hearing your feedback with regards to balance, glitches and crashes. Note that the beta version does not have saving, but the final release of this update will - so for now if you'd like to have a good long session, free up your afternoon!

PScJRkE.jpg

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
I've got the open beta on my game, but when I join the game, the "other modes" section looks like it did before... I can't click on anything except for the four demo levels.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Buffalo981 said:
I've got the open beta on my game, but when I join the game, the "other modes" section looks like it did before... I can't click on anything except for the four demo levels.

Do you see the "Battle Arena" option below Freeplay?

seriously, man... the freeplay announcement made my day, then I found out the beta doesn't work on mac and my little ant heart broke in two :'(

HEXEN

Larva
Excellent news! Expect some feedback during the week.

**UPDATE**

-Right away I can tell you the game crashes when you Restart a match. I have the dmp files if you would like them.

-Just got through with a 5-6 hour game, with a 3 hour pause. No crashes.

-The difficulty seems to ramp up even when "constant" difficulty is selected. Multiple nights in a row brings this out.

Dionaea

Larva
It's pretty fun, the world is huge, I imported my colony, all the creatures fighting each other near my entrance is good source of food and once I had plenty fighting ants, I could just camp outside my entrance and before I knew it I had an abundance of food, at that point I became invincible and then it became a bit repetitive/pointless. Hadn't encountered other ant colonies thus far, maybe they will put up a challenge

Haven't encountered any game bugs yet, after playing a few hours.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Dionaea said:
It's pretty fun, the world is huge, I imported my colony, all the creatures fighting each other near my entrance is good source of food and once I had plenty fighting ants, I could just camp outside my entrance and before I knew it I had an abundance of food, at that point I became invincible and then it became a bit repetitive/pointless. Hadn't encountered other ant colonies thus far, maybe they will put up a challenge

Haven't encountered any game bugs yet, after playing a few hours.

Try hunting uber creatures, or surviving the attack wave option.

I have tried hunting the uber creatures but despite the fact that it's the best game mode i've played yet there is already not enough difficulty in the game I have put the maximum difficulty in ramp with spikes and I made four groups of 47 mortars level 3 and 10 soldier level 3 and I could master the entire map and one of my groups was enough to kill all the uber creatures at the instant they did spawn as all the others creatures by the way, I had constantly 37 000 food in my storages so my ants did can't collect more food... I handle this colony an entire day and I let it turn during the night but I wasn't anymore in difficulty for the game.
I think we should can choose the rythm of apparition of the Uber creatures in the begin menu that would allows the player to have a true challenge... and among others being able to see uber creature fights ;)

Dionaea

Larva
The vegetarian ant said:
I have tried hunting the uber creatures but despite the fact that it's the best game mode i've played yet there is already not enough difficulty in the game I have put the maximum difficulty in ramp with spikes and I made four groups of 47 mortars level 3 and 10 soldier level 3 and I could master the entire map and one of my groups was enough to kill all the uber creatures at the instant they did spawn as all the others creatures by the way, I had constantly 37 000 food in my storages so my ants did can't collect more food... I handle this colony an entire day and I let it turn during the night but I wasn't anymore in difficulty for the game.
I think we should can choose the rythm of apparition of the Uber creatures in the begin menu that would allows the player to have a true challenge... and among others being able to see uber creature fights ;)

Hm I'm getting swarmed and destroyed as soon as I open up to the outside world now that we get attack swarms

me I have begun my game by making a group of worker ant around my queen and a group of mortars, after I ate all food in the underground I went out and begun to harvest the nearest food and to build my ant groups