Frozen Combat Caught! [Old Bug that was Never Resolved]

Mr_Ced

Colony
I managed to finally get some images of it during Freeplay. It pretty much affects every mission, since during this "frozen combat" no damage is done, meaning ants without combat on will not die!
Here is how to trigger it:
  1. Go to a level of your choice on Insane
  2. Turn combat off for the group that you use
  3. NEVER look at the surface, since everything will load
  4. Sit back and relax
This also works in the opposite way. Nest getting attacked but don't want to lose? Look to the surface! Everything will pause!
On bigger maps, the unloading is more oblivious as well, since the unloading happens in a radius, not because you switched layers.
Some photos taken with free-roam mode, since the creatures died almost immediately after I looked at them.

Notice how there is a circle of not only majors, but level three majors having a hard time dealing with one larva.

20200304183343_1.jpg
20200304183946_1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I've reported this one many times since the first time I noticed it, but it seems it's hard to replicate, it might depend of your computer

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
There was an old optimisation that caused this (basically didn't play animations if the camera was not looking) however we removed it as the hit register is tied in with the animation. Wonder if somehow this setting can be turned on? Will ask Matt.

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
I am still unable to replicate this. Matt is going to take another look tomorrow but any information you could provide would be great. What graphics settings do you have? Is this a loaded freeplay game? What do you mean by Extreme (do you mean insane)? Is it only happening against specific creatures?

What graphics settings do you have?
I'm not gonna speak for mr_ced but as I happen to have this bug too, my graphics settings on the game are always on the lowest (except when I try to get some screenshots in photo mode)
Is this a loaded freeplay game? What do you mean by Extreme (do you mean insane)? Is it only happening against specific creatures?
I have seen this bug in every level so far freeplay or not, and whatever difficulty level and it's happening with every creature, I'm putting a screenshot of a freeplay game I was about to loose but in which I stayed outside of the colony to get more bugs inside (it's not the current version though, but I've got this bug to work out fine on the beta)

Attachments

• 20191023130015_1.jpg
    20191023130015_1.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 9

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
NEVER look at the surface, since everything will load
This gave me an idea for an achievement!
Agoraphobia: finish the mission without ever having the camera leave the underground view.

Mr_Ced

Colony
I am still unable to replicate this. Matt is going to take another look tomorrow but any information you could provide would be great. What graphics settings do you have? Is this a loaded freeplay game? What do you mean by Extreme (do you mean insane)? Is it only happening against specific creatures?
I meant Insane. The post is edited now.
I always have my graphic settings to max, and it does seem to happen to all creatures. And it happens in all levels, regardless of difficulty.

Last edited:

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Here is how to trigger it:
  1. Go to a level of your choice on Insane
  2. Turn combat off for the group that you use
  3. NEVER look at the surface, since everything will load
  4. Sit back and relax
Didn't work for me.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
and the reversed claustrophobia, finish the level without going back to your underground view after you dug out the entrance
That means the player cannot build anything after digging out their nest... It might not be possible to win with that limitation.

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
I meant Insane. The post is edited now.
I always have my graphic settings to max, and it does seem to happen to all creatures. And it happens in all levels, regardless of difficulty.
What hardware are you using? I do not know if this info will help but best to gather what we can now. Could you produce a video of this? That could be really helpful.

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Mr_Ced and The vegetarian ant could you let me know what graphics cards and processors you have. If we can identify a similarity we may be able to narrow it down.

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Had a look for the video Mr_Cred but could not find it in the email. Any chance you can upload it as an unlisted video on YouTube?

Mr_Ced

Colony
I forgot to mention that the combat music stops when you look away, as well as the minimap ping. Unfortunately I couldn't capture the sound in the video

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
I forgot to mention that the combat music stops when you look away, as well as the minimap ping. Unfortunately I couldn't capture the sound in the video
That makes sense as they are all tied to the hit being registered. Any chance you could let us know your graphics card and processor? Or if its a laptop could you let us know the model we can probably figure the rest out from that.