Higher Difficulty?

Well after finally been able to finish 1.1 and 1.2 on the insane mode I went back to the 2er levels and esp. 2.2 seems now way harder to master I had now trouble on medium and even at hard it is really really hard. Is it just lack of practice or it it harder now? I am not complaining; I am intrigued. I get the difficulty on 2.1 insane where the tigerbeeales hunt even on the lowest beach and make things complicated. but on 2.2 the attack waves are with littel breaks now, well depending on how fast you kill the attackers. I also think i have to design my hive a bit smarter.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
What sort of strategies are you using?

2.2 used to be much easier due to mortar splash, but a nerf to this has made it significantly more difficult.

What sort of lag do you get while playing the game, especially with large numbers of ants on-screen?

Rayalot72 said:
What sort of strategies are you using?

2.2 used to be much easier due to mortar splash, but a nerf to this has made it significantly more difficult.

What sort of lag do you get while playing the game, especially with large numbers of ants on-screen?

In the last seconds of the game when everything is flooded i have got FPS from 11 to 13 sometimes 9 but usually it is in the green.

Well my strategy before was basicly to survive some how more soldier related; but they are way to expensive and rather useless and to fight them back at the entrance and only sometimes on the outside. with food near the entrance and on other locations Without the mortar level 3 and level 3 soldiers I have way more ants now.the more workers i use the further I get I use all on level 1 and Rapids but I am thinking of upgrading some workers to level 3 to make them stronger not sure if it is worth it though. Oddly I would have enough food out of killings but not the time to harvest it and on the last day the other colonies are stealing the food from my killings and I can not make more new ants fast enough or hatch the old ones. I also struggle with the perfect amount of workers on the queen tile considering that the also can pick up food. It is also tough to be int the underground and upstairs at the same time. and lately the food collecting is deactivated and the 7 original workers barely collect food so I don't get a head start far from jt . Normally when you have enough food and a critical mass of ants you are unbeatable when you don't make mistakes but boy I am far from that now.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
In the last seconds of the game when everything is flooded i have got FPS from 11 to 13 sometimes 9 but usually it is in the green.

Normally, you want to use rapid-fire at lvl 1, but at that frame-rate you should use mortar lvl 1, as lag impacts their attacks a lot less.

Definitely don't upgrade ants, only ever upgrade food tiles.

Soldiers and workers are about equally effective as tanks, but in this level you need to respawn ants fast, so I'd recommend going for soldiers as your tanks, with some workers as tanks at the start so you can get food quicker.

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
It's possible to beat 2.2 on hard with level 3 mortars. I have not tried either 2.1 or 2.2 on insane yet. After tremendous studying of your guide and Balanites guide, I was able to beat 1.1 and 1.2 with challenge mode on insane. One of the key factors is if you're going for smaller amounts of level 3 ants, which means you get more food but less power, or all level one ants, which deal out tons of damage but waste tons of food. I believe beating 2.1 on insane definetly requires the numbers, but a way to beat 2.2 on insane might be a combination of level threes and level ones. If you make your chambers of mortars in perfect hexagons of 19, there will be an inner 7 tiles. Upgrading only four of those inner tiles will make sure you do not spend too much food on upgrades, allowing you to spend on numbers but also getting some splash damage.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Lvl 1 spam, according to battle arena, is the best for food consumption as well. The larger ants simply don't do the damage, so that lvl 1 being able to kill things faster causes less deaths. I don't just mean the extra 100 cost either, I mean the 5 food per hatch is outmatched by lvl 1 spam.

Rayalot72 said:

Normally, you want to use rapid-fire at lvl 1, but at that frame-rate you should use mortar lvl 1, as lag impacts their attacks a lot less.

Soldiers and workers are about equally effective as tanks, but in this level you need to respawn ants fast, so I'd recommend going for soldiers as your tanks, with some workers as tanks at the start so you can get food quicker.

Oh boy I am a colossal asshead I had my graphicard setting on silent mode now on gaming mode in the end I have a FPS at about 45% it does not even go to yellow for long and I am kicking ass agein at least on Hard mode.

I Every one of you cleannig out the underground of 2.2 totally I tend to build up a third army one and two are for the farms outside obviously and with the third I clear the underground at the end and in between attack waves but it is always a ride on the edge ...

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
ALEMAN12 said:
Rayalot72 said:

Oh boy I am a colossal asshead I had my graphicard setting on silent mode now on gaming mode in the end I have a FPS at about 45% it does not even go to yellow for long and I am kicking ass agein at least on Hard mode.

I Every one of you cleannig out the underground of 2.2 totally I tend to build up a third army one and two are for the farms outside obviously and with the third I clear the underground at the end and in between attack waves but it is always a ride on the edge ...

That's a very plausible strategy tbh, although I'm unaware of how successful it is. Typically I've been clearing the underground at the start of each night, going at a high speed for the select few chambers I know I can manage and still have time to clear the overground.

What works for me:

D1- Clear and harvest small chamber east of queen prior to or during the start of the first black ant wave.

N1- Clear and harvest the north-eastern chamber, and three northernmost western chambers.

N2- Clear and harvest the two south-western chambers.

N3- Clear and harvest the three south-eastern chambers.

For additional food, send a no-combat worker team to the available fish on the east beach D2. This fish is positioned so as that the wood ants are extremely unlikely to aggro, and, if they do, will typically be unable to do much damage. As an extra, they don't actually go outside again after their initial rush to kill retreating crabs.

If you didn't know, there is 300 food behind the nest entrance in the form of two hidden corpses.

I'd personally try to have plenty of extra food by D4 and not go outside, so as to avoid contesting the enemy colony's actual ants.

Rayalot72 said:
ALEMAN12 said:
Rayalot72 said:

That's a very plausible strategy tbh, although I'm unaware of how successful it is. Typically I've been clearing the underground at the start of each night, going at a high speed for the select few chambers I know I can manage and still have time to clear the overground.

What works for me:

D1- Clear and harvest small chamber east of queen prior to or during the start of the first black ant wave.

N1- Clear and harvest the north-eastern chamber, and three northernmost western chambers.

N2- Clear and harvest the two south-western chambers.

N3- Clear and harvest the three south-eastern chambers.

For additional food, send a no-combat worker team to the available fish on the east beach D2. This fish is positioned so as that the wood ants are extremely unlikely to aggro, and, if they do, will typically be unable to do much damage. As an extra, they don't actually go outside again after their initial rush to kill retreating crabs.

If you didn't know, there is 300 food behind the nest entrance in the form of two hidden corpses.

I'd personally try to have plenty of extra food by D4 and not go outside, so as to avoid contesting the enemy colony's actual ants.

Thx, without the hidden food I wouldn't have had a chance at all :) I gonna try to clear the underground earlier I started with the easy chambers but if even one garden gets damaged to much you are already screwed, but I hope i will find the right mix of clearing and protecting the gardens outside. to get some food buffer for the last night.

MrCed2003 said:
WAIT, there are graphics card settings? Where can I find them? Because my frames suck.

Well it depends on the card U R using pus the software package I have got a Strix-GTX 1080ti and the GPU tweak II and that has settings for settings for the Card.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
An update since I beat it again:

I constructed two groups of 14 ants for D1 harvesting, and then gradually built up about 19 spitters and cleared the first chamber. During the night, made the groups of 14 15 each (total of 30), made 13 additional nest-workers, and got some melee soldiers (around 15 I think). All extra went into spitters.

D2 I sent the 30 workers in the groups of 15 to the fish, and used the soldiers for defense.

During D3, in the middle of fighting waves, I would also open up some of the remaining underground chambers (I did the 3 in the south-east last, so I opened the 2 available to me, and then the last 1 on a separate occasion) in the middle of fighting a wave, which gave me extra food and saved some time I would have otherwise wasted N3.

By the time D4 came around, I had built up 30 melee and 90 ranged soldiers, and had 35 workers doing nest jobs, and 15 working as extra meatbags, with something like 1500 food stored.

You'll probably need to find a construction order that works for you, but that has been what works for me. The basics seems to just be maintaining enough food so as to be able to manage, which means you need to time everything perfectly enough so as to ensure that you aren't missing food from enemies at night, that you get enough from that fish D2, and so as to have cleared and harvested the entire underground.

I don't personally touch the overground, as I have extreme difficulties with finding time-frames within which to get and keep the aphid farms up and running, especially at night when you don't get food from them. I suppose I'll have to start doing tests revolving around such a strategy, to see if it's viable, as you sound like you're getting success out of it.