I Study Ants as a Hobby and Have Some Ideas to Add to the Community

For me ants have always been a fascination and this game so far is amazing! I am new to this community; having only gotten my copy a couple days ago, but am already so overjoyed at it's existence! The main reason for this long-winded beginning is to preface that being new to the community here maybe some of the ideas I mention already exist or have been discussed and if so, I apologize.

I read that there were Kickstarter goals and that those have dictated some of the species being included in the game. So with this in mind these ideas could at least be for the devs to add later in DLC or through another funding project. That part would be up to them to decide if they end up liking any of these thoughts.

Ant Species
Myrmecia (aka: Lion Ant, Bulldog Ant and Jack Jumper Ant)
Myrmecia are one of the ant species that come to my mind almost immediately whenever ants come up in conversation or otherwise. Their powerful venom which has killed Humans could be a unit focus for the ant if implemented into the game. Their ability to jump could maybe make them stand out vs flying enemies? Could be a good way to help deal with wasps or finally harvest lady-bird beetles.

"Myrmecia stings are very potent, and the venoms from these ants are among the most toxic in the insect world. In Tasmania, 3% of the human population are allergic to the venom of M. pilosula and can suffer life-threatening anaphylactic reactions if stung; many human deaths have been recorded. People prone to severe allergic reactions can be treated with allergen immunotherapy (desensitisation)." - Wikipedia

Dorylus (Aka: Siafu, Driver Ant, Sefari Ant)
Dorylus are another ant that comes to mind quickly. Army ants seem like a good fit for a strategy game but they would need someway to stand out. Dorylus is the larges of all army ants and maybe could have a unique mechanic of being like a titan on the battlefield but costing a lot of food. Dorylus have been reported to eat humans in their sleep according to some sources but I personally cannot confirm that. Regardless it has given them legendary status. In their natural home in Africa the natives steer clear of them, some tribes even will change where they hunt and gather based on where these ants are marching.

Myrmecocystus Mexicanus (Aka: Honeypot Ant, Honey Ant)
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus is one of the MOST unique species I've ever seen. I saw a post in the forum already in a brief read that these are already planned to be added. I guess they could store food but there is already a food tile. Maybe the honey being consumed by them could give your ants a buff? Almost like the nectar from Pikmin! Pikmin is also a game that is very very near to my heart and Empires of the Undergrowth give me strong Pikmin feels.
Besides this use another idea, though admittedly it would feel more gamey, would be that you could place the honey on tiles to cause enemies to get stuck or slowed?

Crematogaster Striatula
I don't know any non-scientific names for these ants but they offer something that may be good for the game. I also read that there are planned to be termite colonies added. This is a good choice since they are a common ant rival and would offer some hive and hive action besides just other ants. Crematogaster Striatula specialize in dealing with termites. Their bodies produce a nerve toxin that they release into the air as a gas that causes multiple adverse effects to their enemies. They could be either implemented as just an anti-termite unit but their toxin could affect other enemy ants as well.

Cephalotes Specularis (Aka: Infiltrator Ants)
Cephalotes Specularis might seem similar at first to the Slave-Maker ants that are already in the game but these could add a potential to make Slave-Maker colonies a little more challenging to fight and also help them actually feel more unique than other basic ants. The game lore has already shown us that in this environment ant species have learned to co-exist so I feel it could be lore appropriate for these ants to work with the Slave Makers.
Cephalotes Specularis could pretend to be your workers. Maybe they would have some subtle give-a-way you could use as a player to identify them and kill them off but they could also pretend to be one of your ants til the queen as X or less ants near her and then they strike! Or possibly they break upgrades on your tiles or remove improvements but will be attacked if your other ants notice this?

"Imagine that this is World War II, you’re behind enemy lines, and you’re hungry. You’ve got fair skin, blond hair, and blue eyes, so you put on a Nazi uniform, straighten your back, and walk right into the mess hall. The only problem is you don’t speak any German. Sounds pretty difficult to pull off, right? Now, imagine doing this every day for the rest of your life. This is how mirror turtle ants live." - Monte Richard II

Pachycondyla Chinensis (Aka: Needle Ants)
Pachycondyla Chinensis don't have many traits that make them physically stand out but they are one of the most powerful fighters. As an invasive species they can push out all other ant and termite species in the world and all belong to one super colony. Rather than seeing each other as rivals Needle Ant colonies are like one massive country. While they don't make for exciting units for the player, they could make a good future bad guy.

Finally the last ant in this section Nylanderia Fulva
Nylanderia Fulva have multiple subvarients each with its own crazy story. They are most notorious for Biosphere 2 in Arizona during the 1980s. The particular variant I'm looking at though is the one in Southern California. When hit with toxin from another insect they simply spray their own venom on their bodies and it neutralizes the opposing venom! Yes, they have their own spray-able venom and also can self remedy poison.
There are already ranged ants in the game but we do have enemies that spray our units, Devil's Coach Horse Beetle for instance. What is Nylanderia Fulva where weak HP wise but could remedy status ailments on your ants?

The last thing I want to mention though it is not an ant is something for future levels or possibly as a challenge mode idea.

Ophiocordyceps unilateralis
I'm sure you all already know about this. Its a fungus that gets inside an ant eventually taking over its basic motor functions. After being effectively zombified Last of Us style the ant is forced to walk to a favorable location, die and then release spores for the fungus. This could be a could challenge since once identified you would basically have to send out troops on suicide missions to keep them from further spreading. Or at least have those squads stay outdoors.

Just to add real quick! I would have included leaf-cutter ants on the list but I read somewhere on these forums already that they are being included and I trust the developers already know what they are doing with them. I assume maybe some sort of plant walls that block you they have to cut through or something useful like that! :)