[Idea for future ant species] Argentine ants

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Yeah I had proposed a long time ago to have a specie that could hatch several ants from the same hatchery and it would perfectly fit the argentine ants which win trough numbers
Fire ants might be getting that as their lvl 3 bonus.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I have an idea for a level related to argentine ants and fire ants:
Both player and AI are hostile to each other.
The level starts with 4 nest entrances, but only 2 populated nests (player and AI) that are far from each other. (Opposing hills or something.)
Near the centre of the map there would be two nests relatively close to each other that are not populated.
Both the player and AI can produce queen ants, a queen ant can be send over to an empty nest to populate it. (These become nests allied to the original owner of that queen ant, the nest is controlled by an AI.)
The objective of the mission would be to eliminate all enemy queens.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Fire ants are a monogyne species(meaning they only have one queen) so that wouldn't work. Nice idea though!
6:59 in the video:
"Not only are the red fire ants fierce fighters and more than able to deal with the argentine ant, they are also able to form super colonies themselves."

Wikipedia on the Red imported fire ant:
"A social chromosome is present in the red imported fire ant. This chromosome can differentiate the social organisation of a colony carrying one of two variants of a supergene (B and b) which contains more than 600 genes. The social chromosome has often been compared to sexual chromosomes because they share similar genetic features[157] and they define colony phenotype in a similar way. For example, colonies exclusively carrying the B variant of this chromosome accept single BB queens, but colonies with both B and b variants will accept multiple Bb queens only.[158] Differences in another single gene can also determine whether the colony will have single or multiple queens.[159] "

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
according to antWiki, Solenopsis invicta is "facultatively polygynous", I suppose this means that the colony can be polygynous if it chooses to be.