Idea For New Ant Species (The Honey Pot Ant)

I had an idea recently that it would be interesting to have the honey pot ant in the game. Not only would it be a cool design but also a cool function. The honey pot ant can store nectar in its abdomen to feed other ants. In the game, it could count for some food storage. It wouldn't cost to much food and wouldn't be very strong but it could help with space. Maybe in a level, you could have a small space and you would have to use the ant to save space.

Last edited:
I had an idea recently that it would be interesting to have the honey pot ant in the game. Not only would it be a cool design but also a cool function. The honey pot ant can store a sweet substance in its abdomen to feed other ants. In the game, it could count for some food storage. It wouldn't cost to much food and wouldn't be very strong but it could help with space. Maybe in a level, you could have a small space and you would have to use the ant to save space.
more than save space, I think those ants would be most useful to limit the space between the foraging trail and the food stores (like having the honey pot following the foraging ants so they stay on the trail instead of going all the way down to the colony to put down food)
despite this I think they already have a specie list, you might be able to see it on the faq post

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
A mechanic could be that the player would put some food inside of them, and then after some time they would deposit the food back into your food stores, but you would gain an extra 20% food of what you originally put in them. Or maybe you put 200 food in them, and you get food back at a rate of 20% up to 400, but over time (these are just numbers, I think that if the value was double of what the player originally put in them, it would be op). This value could go up depending on their level.

These ants would probably have to be tiles themselves, I'm guessing, or they could be living ants, but nonetheless, workers would bring food grains from to the food store to the honey pots or the tile they are connected to, and the honey pots would inflate up. Then after a time period, they would give out a food substance to collect by workers and be brought back to the food store at a certain rate until what was originally put in them was paid back, and they would give off additional resources as profit. Think of it like processing raw resources to make them more valuable.

If honeypots had a valuable mechanic like this, I can see them being a staple in every gene-thief colony, and quite useful too. As I mentioned, this would add more complexity to the 'economies' of gene thief colonies, and an addition like this could be very good for eventual multiplayer.

One problem that I noticed is that they only store nectar. I don't know if it would be better for it to be able to just store anything or if the ant would have to find nectar.

maybe to represent the efficiency benefit of having honey pot ants in real life the colony could have cheaper food costs / harvest more food like if the other ant species had to deal with small amounts of food rotting, it would make the honey pot more food efficient but despite this, they wouldn't have any new gameplay so I don't think they will end up being added, even with a limited source of food like nectar it would simply be a by product of the leafcutters but with nectar instead of leaves

Scyobi_Empire

Colony
Extremely Helpful Person
Ecosystem Beta Tester
I had an idea recently that it would be interesting to have the honey pot ant in the game. Not only would it be a cool design but also a cool function. The honey pot ant can store nectar in its abdomen to feed other ants. In the game, it could count for some food storage. It wouldn't cost to much food and wouldn't be very strong but it could help with space. Maybe in a level, you could have a small space and you would have to use the ant to save space.
I always thought of them as 'field medics' for the colony, as the fighting ants with low health would fall back to the Honeypot to drink and regain health. To balence this, I would make it as slow as the queens in 2.2 (queen of the hill) or slower.

I always thought of them as 'field medics' for the colony, as the fighting ants with low health would fall back to the Honeypot to drink and regain health. To balence this, I would make it as slow as the queens in 2.2 (queen of the hill) or slower.
Maybe not slower or as slow, but close.

Didn't we (as the whole EotU community) already discuss that? Or am I thinking of a different ant?