Implementation of Messor Barbarus (Harvester Ants)

VarmintLP

Queen
Backer
Hello guys,

This might be more a question than a sugguestion but here it goes. As an antkeeper of this species I was wondering if you were maybe planning or thinking about implementing the species Messor Barbarus. I find them really great and would love to see them at some point in the game. I even also try to find some more information about them and I am currently researching the types of grasses they eat and share it in a thread on another forum. I basically made a list of what seeds they eat or shouldn't eat and I even try to list which ones they like and which they don't. However it takes a lot of time to first find the wild grasses / rye grasses and identify them. Although that is much easier than identifying multiple ant species. hehe :p

Here the link to the thread I mentioned.
Messor Barbarus thread

Please let me know. I would be super happy to know that they are at least on the list of possible additions and I would even more love to be able to contribute pictures or information of the antspecies to make them come true.

pakitane16

Colony
All species for the rest of early access have been planned, given stats and in model-making stage. If they are in the game, you will know soon.
They have stated that their species-choosing policy is quality over quantity. They want species that provide something unique to the game, so if you can provide some convincing ideas, they may look at it after early access. From past example:
- slavemaker ant: brood-stealing enemy
- wood ant: ranged unit
- leafcutter ant: tank unit, waste management, plant climbing
- fire ant: swarm unit, bridge building
- trapjaw ant: self preservation
- army ant: allies buff

VarmintLP

Queen
Backer
All species for the rest of early access have been planned, given stats and in model-making stage. If they are in the game, you will know soon.
They have stated that their species-choosing policy is quality over quantity. They want species that provide something unique to the game, so if you can provide some convincing ideas, they may look at it after early access. From past example:
- slavemaker ant: brood-stealing enemy
- wood ant: ranged unit
- leafcutter ant: tank unit, waste management, plant climbing
- fire ant: swarm unit, bridge building
- trapjaw ant: self preservation
- army ant: allies buff
Unique? They are harvester ants. xD
They are probably the only ones that don't kill only insects for food but to defend their trails of transport. So they would be very unique in those regards. The only insects they may eat are flies if I'm not misinformed. I know it might seem kind of boring but I love them for their easy to keep lifestyle. :)
Also it is just interesting to watch them going for all the seeds you throw in.
Here an example of my Messor Barbarus collecting seeds.

As a story idea there could be a mountain of seeds that were dropped by someone who was feeding birds or there could be birds attacking sometimes. Maybe they need to defend their seeds against another colony who is also trying to harvest some seeds. :p

King Maf

Larva
Ecosystem Beta Tester
i think harvester ants are to similar to leafcuetters exept a bit less complex

Hello guys,

This might be more a question than a sugguestion but here it goes. As an antkeeper of this species I was wondering if you were maybe planning or thinking about implementing the species Messor Barbarus. I find them really great and would love to see them at some point in the game. I even also try to find some more information about them and I am currently researching the types of grasses they eat and share it in a thread on another forum. I basically made a list of what seeds they eat or shouldn't eat and I even try to list which ones they like and which they don't. However it takes a lot of time to first find the wild grasses / rye grasses and identify them. Although that is much easier than identifying multiple ant species. hehe :p

Here the link to the thread I mentioned.
Messor Barbarus thread

Please let me know. I would be super happy to know that they are at least on the list of possible additions and I would even more love to be able to contribute pictures or information of the antspecies to make them come true.
I already asked the devs about this and the said something along the lines of 'no' :(

Talon

Queen
Unique? They are harvester ants. xD
They are probably the only ones that don't kill only insects for food but to defend their trails of transport. So they would be very unique in those regards. The only insects they may eat are flies if I'm not misinformed. I know it might seem kind of boring but I love them for their easy to keep lifestyle. :)
Er no. Messor Barbarus are opportunistic. Bigger Colonys go hunting, but they are not verry good warriors. Thats why they take seeds. The seeds can be used also for feeding the adult ants and the young, but proteines are better for the young. My Colony takes every proteines I give them. Flys, Crickets, Buffaloworms, Moth, Chicken, Sausage. They also accept dryed out insects that my other species doesn't want.

Durburz

Worker
Both my messor structor and messor barbarus have accepted insects so far. I have noticed when they are small colonies they only take stuff they can carry alone, so try feeding them cricket legs or fruit flies in the beginning. Another thing they go crazy over is boiled egg. Offer a bit of both the egg yolk as well as the egg white, because together they contain a lot of proteins but also an almost full profile of amino acids. One thing my messors do not accept is honeywater or honeydew surrogate.

VarmintLP

Queen
Backer
Both my messor structor and messor barbarus have accepted insects so far. I have noticed when they are small colonies they only take stuff they can carry alone, so try feeding them cricket legs or fruit flies in the beginning. Another thing they go crazy over is boiled egg. Offer a bit of both the egg yolk as well as the egg white, because together they contain a lot of proteins but also an almost full profile of amino acids. One thing my messors do not accept is honeywater or honeydew surrogate.
Well. I shall then add a slice of boiled egg and see how they like it. ;)
I will also try some bee larvae or mealworms as I will get me some for my lasius niger colony when they get their first workers.
I also discovered or found out that the white traces they sometimes leave behind are actually fungus. So the ants basically also grow some sort of fungus that they use to make antbread but they don't grow them as massiv as leafcutter ants.