Improving 3.2

Mr_Ced

Colony
I attempted 3.2 on insane and noticed that the army ants were not even a noticeable problem. I think that the army ants should have greater numbers, and the bar should go up and down based on what day it is and how many ants return to the swarm.

I attempted 3.2 on insane and noticed that the army ants were not even a noticeable problem. I think that the army ants should have greater numbers, and the bar should go up and down based on what day it is and how many ants return to the swarm.
MrCed2003 have you beaten the level on insane?
Based on my playthrough if you made any of the changes you've suggested then Slug Disco would literally break the level. I've completed 3.2 on insane; look me up on youtube I've linked the video in this response. The army ants are definitely a problem - the bar is extremely hard to manage (Unless Slug Disco has patched the level to make it easier which I haven't seen any notes stating they have touched the levels).

They don't seem like they're a problem because they aren't super aggressive to your colony. You could theoretically hide in your base at later days and the bugs that spawn would take care of most, if not all, of the army ants. But when neutral enemy bugs kill the army ants the bar doesn't drop. So they don't assist at all - they make it harder to manage the bar as they kill the ants for you. Considering by day 5 the other bugs that spawn on the map are almost unstoppable by you, you really don't have all the time in the world to complete this level in. The problem is that if you let the army ants get that far over to your side of the map; you'll never be able to push that red bar down to 0 on insane. The army ants don't seem like a threat because they're not super aggressive to you sure but the game isn't beatable when you leave the army ants alone (so you technically lose if you aren't burning through resources to attack them early on). It's just too hard. So you need to push them early and aggressively each day to manage that red bar - then you'll start to understand they are a problem and just how hard that is to manage.

If Slug Disco were to consider your changes here are some possible breaks in the level that would occur:
If the army ants had greater numbers early you wouldn't win because you wouldn't have the ability to put enough early pressure down on them.
If you gave the army ants greater numbers later it'd be too easy because you'd push the bar down too easily - therefore making the level less insane.
So if you tamper with the number of ants; you tamper with the difficulty of the level and the more ants you add the easier the level would be in my opinion.
You have to also consider that the bar increases faster on insane then it does on hard - I've got timed videos on both difficulties that clearly show that - which ties in to the two points above that the difficulty is there because there aren't enough ants to just smash through on the earlier days..
If the red bar went up and down based on what day it is and how many ants returned you may also struggle to get the red bar down - it would be something that Slug Disco would have to try balance and it would change the dynamic of the level completely.
I've passed this level after multiple failures and I find it is really balanced once you figure out what works for you. Balanced doesn't mean easy - but this is insane difficulty we are talking about.