Is Insane Mode Possible?

I have beaten all Levels on Insane now except Level 2.1 because of those patrolling tiger beatles on the lowest level I have to change the way I play hence there is no more "free" food and a lot more dead ants if you are not carefull.

I don't know if Level 1.2 is still an issue for anyone but the best way for me to beat it is building your nest so clever that the slaver ants can barely steal any of your larvae and be fast as hell but to not to fast so leavve the last upgrade open for the perfect time an get lots of high level soldier ants to protect the queen and larvae

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I'd go for going underground only on D1 (plus food just outside the nest) in 2.1 personally, as it's more consistent than needing to go down any levels.

Daniel7Sly123

Ants are perfect!
I beat the the 1.1, 1.2 and 2.2 with challenge, but the 2.1 took me 1 week playing on insane without the chalenge mode, but with the chalenge activated i can´t do it. all the levels are balanced but 2.1 with chalenge needs an analysis. :( :(

Boy getting 30 workers and 10 to 15 spitters at Level 2.1 on the first night is really hard in the youtube vids it looks a lot easier I have a lot less food to use hence i have only have the food tiles and the workers are on no attack mode anyhow, well every second counts and maybye I need some more fine tuning.

Made it to night 2 on level 2.1 on insane boy the spiders are cripling on hard mode but on insane they are worse of course I think i made the mistake to fight the tiger beetles before cleaning out the rest of the nest.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
ALEMAN12 said:
Boy getting 30 workers and 10 to 15 spitters at Level 2.1 on the first night is really hard in the youtube vids it looks a lot easier I have a lot less food to use hence i have only have the food tiles and the workers are on no attack mode anyhow, well every second counts and maybye I need some more fine tuning.

I'd build less workers during the night, wait till the end. Better to make 20-25 spitters and only maybe 15 workers.

Rayalot72 said:
ALEMAN12 said:

I'd build less workers during the night, wait till the end. Better to make 20-25 spitters and only maybe 15 workers.

Yeah tha's what i did I went heavily for the spitters On Night 2 during the 3rd spider rade i had between 30 and 40 spitters i guess still no chance tough

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Guy Fieri said:
I’ll take a look at insane mod for 2.1, and I’ll try to upload it to YouTube. I’ll link the video if it ever gets made!

Can't wait. It's nice to have videos of multiple people completing insane.

Guy Fieri

Worker
I've got OBS, expect a video by Friday, and I'll post a link.
Edit - This is more difficult than I imagined. My usual strategy of slaughtering hermit crabs through out the night isn’t going to work this time.
Edit 2 - Night 2 is absolutely horrendous. I don't think I can beat 2.1 on insane mode. Maybe another level.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I would definitely try to beat the 1.X levels and their challenges first, and probably 2.2 before 2.1 as well. 2.1 is by far the hardest level in the game at this time.

Guy Fieri

Worker
I've completed all but maybe 1.1 on medium and challenge mode. I'll do 2.2 insane.

Edit: The game gets really laggy and the audio starts stuttering as soon as I record, maybe I'll have to just post a screenshot instead. The game was laggy and the models didn't load, but the actual video, it was basically a slide show.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
You may want to test if you get better performance from something like NVIDIA shadowplay, or the Xbox's game capture feature (available to Windows 10 users).

Daniel7Sly123

Ants are perfect!
I made a video passing the level Rising tide in insane with chalenge.This is the most hard level in the game.The video was made to help those who are struggling to pass the level in higher difficulties.
I hope this video helps you! :D
(it was supposed to talk in the video but the sound was very low.Maybe i will put subtitles)

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Nice, glad that other people are stepping up to beat the hardest levels.

Yo guys, i just discovered this game a week ago and love it so much.
Im a try hard so as soon as i figured out the game i dived right into the 2.1 challenge on insane.
It´s a huge challenge and really demands one to pursue perfection on the harvesting sequence.
I was strugling a lot and even thinking it was impossible so i did some research and stumbled upon the youtube video (
) that showed me that its actually possible.
All right so i got back to my trys and got better and better at conscripting a huge army of ants on the map.
The problem was even though i manage to get a huge army i just lose on phase 3 of the last night when the 3rd wave of spiders overlaps with the crabs.
I have a bad PC. Even playing on the lowest video settings, there might be something happening that prevent my ants to deal damage properly.
I say that in the video we can see that the author beated the last night with 54 workers and 56 spiters. He used tunneling to create a bottleneck so that the crabs can´t all attack at the same time.
Right so i managed to create a hive with 75 lvl 1 workers, 16 lvl 3 tankers and 94 lvl 1 spiters. I correctly managed the pherormone pathing so that the tankers were always tanking damage and the spitters never acctually died (until i wipped). I also had 1.000 stored food when the crabs fight started and had somethin like 20/30 workers handling eggs. When the fight against the crabs start, it all seems to be working (my pc starts lagging, but everything moves according to the plan), but the crabs just take such a long time to die. When the spiders storm my pc gets even more laggy and even though i still keep killing the spiders, for some reason the spiders start killing my queen *right next* to my ants and the queen dies while my ants are still fighting the last crabs (last try the were like 5-7 20% hp left).

I see that Daniel posted another video here with a guide. I quickly looked at his numbers by the start of the crab fight and he had 100 lvl 1 workers and 75 lvl 1 spitters around 300-400 food. He used his workers as the meatwall and actually had a lot of spitters killed before he stabilised the fight. Still, he managed to kill almost all the crabs before the spiders stormed in.

My point is, i feel like my numbers and fight handling is very adequate, in some ways better then i saw in the videos. But my damage per second seems lacklust due to the heavy framerate drop. Im definatly not trying to take anything away from the dudes that completed the challange, not by any means. They are beasts for doing it!

My answer is: do you guys think it is possible that the framerate actually messes with the fight when it gets so crowded?

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Oh wow, more people are beating insane.

Taran, you mentioned your PC is on the slow end. Mine tends to be as well, and I find my spitters are far more effective if they're mortars instead of rapid-fire. This is due to the extra delay between shots due to lag compounding with each shot taken. Since mortars can do far more damage with less attacks, they get around this lag far better than the rapid-fire, which must get in a fair few hits to take down the same amount of HP. Hopefully that will make the third night beatable for you.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
A strat for 1.2 I don't think I've shared here:

A slavemaker thief, when spawning and deciding what egg to steal, picks a brood chamber randomly and paths to it. However, they don't actually seem to check that there's an egg present, or that the tile they've selected can carry eggs at all, since they'll sometimes visit food and speed tiles.

Thus, it's fairly effective to place food chambers down as you clear areas to collect food, as this will not only allow you to store said food faster, it will also increase the likelihood that thieves will waste time wandering off to the edges of the map for nothing whatsoever. This should generally lighten the load on the colony during waves, as you'll be able to invest more resources into fighting slavemaker soldiers, and your nest workers will have far fewer eggs to replenish.

Mr_Ced

Colony
I found 1.2 to be fairly easy. 2.1 on insane was nuts. I didn't even kill all of the creatures before the morning. I have not tried 2.2 yet on insane, hopefully it doesn't go too bad.