Lagging/Freezing

blaminack

Larva
Last night I experienced lagging/freezing. When beginning this post, I realized my whole system was lagging, not just the game. I had only been playing the game all day. Hadn't done anything else. I had played all the modes switching back and forth, reloading, restarting, starting new games, etc... I been working on another Freeplay and after 30 minutes or so, things started lagging, or freezing. I thought I would try reloading the level from last saved, which was from the beginning, and it continued. I checked the process details in Task Manager and it was only using 1.5 megs memory, 25-80% CPU (Spikes), 90-98% GPU.

After exiting the game fully, all was back to normal and no lagging/freezing. Nothing at all.

I loaded my save and play another hour with no further issues. No clue what was causing it.

If you have been playing it nonstop it likely was leaking memory... Happens with alot of games to be honest. If your GPU was maxing out at 90%+ and CPU spiking up to 80%, it does sound like your PC may be slightly dated and simply does not handle extended uptime that well.

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
This could indeed be a memory leak. Will keep it in mind when we do further testing. Glad to hear closing and re-opening sorted the issue!

blaminack

Larva
Well, it is a year or so old.

Intel Core i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 with 1920 x 1080 display.

I run World Of Tanks full graphics with no problem, even before the new graphic engine they released this year.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
blaminack said:
Well, it is a year or so old.

Intel Core i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 with 1920 x 1080 display.

I run World Of Tanks full graphics with no problem, even before the new graphic engine they released this year.

That's a pretty beefy system - thanks for the info. There's a chance of a memory leek going on somewhere, so as John says we'll look into it.

I have a comparable setup to yours and I never run that hot resource usage in this game...

Just loaded up an end-game save with around 400 ants (very laggy) and even did a battle mode with around 500 ants on each side fighting... GPU never went past 50%, CPU stayed around 25%, RAM stayed around 3GB...

I will try to replicate an extended play time to see if that makes a difference but I have played games lasting 4-6 hours and never had any resource spikes like you have described.

How is your resource usage while not running the games (idle mode) vs when you open the game?

You may have something else causing this issue for you