Leaves Become Unharvestable Occasionally

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
It's not clear what causes this, some plants will just not be accessible. It may be caused by ants dying during collection due to venom.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
It's not clear what causes this, some plants will just not be accessible. It may be caused by ants dying during collection due to venom.
Venom seems to not be involved here? I have no enemies on the world right here.
I saw one instance of it happening just now. I did not have the recording rolling and was too late to make a screencap, but I saw an ant harvesting a size 1 leaf from this plant right before it became unharvestable:
20200107122316_1.jpg

So far all plants that I have seen to become unharvestable were already partially harvested.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I got you something sweet. I caught the thing in a recording:
And since it's a recording you can rewind.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I think I may know what's happening? An ant far down the foraging trail might be claiming the harvesting spot on those plants. So the other ants can't touch it. (If I wait around a bit eventually an ant from far back arrives and walks up to harvest leaf.)
At first it looks like it can't be harvested:
20200107182440_1.jpg

But some time later an ant from far back arrives:
20200107182449_1.jpg

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
If it happens again and it does could you possibly send the save over?
You probably want to watch this:
It looks like ants were waiting on other ants who claimed the harvesting spot on those plants from far away.
Edit:
This also explains why I have yet to see this happen close to the nest.

Last edited:

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
It's clearly visible which ant takes the leaf here.
An ant that was way back inside the nest claimed a leaf to harvest somehow?

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
It's clearly visible which ant takes the leaf here.
An ant that was way back inside the nest claimed a leaf to harvest somehow?
Right so it should not be possible to claim a leaf unless the ant can see it... I have a couple of theories here. Reservations are made both on the leaf for harvesting and on the tile where the leaf is to be placed. I am wondering if somehow the ant has some lingering reservation on the leaf. Is it possible that ant has harvested the same plant before?

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Right so it should not be possible to claim a leaf unless the ant can see it... I have a couple of theories here. Reservations are made both on the leaf for harvesting and on the tile where the leaf is to be placed. I am wondering if somehow the ant has some lingering reservation on the leaf. Is it possible that ant has harvested the same plant before?
That is very well possible with the time it took it to reach that plant.
It was at the very least walking back with leaf as the plant became reserved by an ant.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I recorded this:
Since I can't ID the ants I used different levels so they can be told apart a tiny bit.

Edit:
The last leaf had that remaining part brought down to 15 by a lvl 1 worker somewhere in the first 1.5 minutes?

Last edited:

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
In the video one of the plants that had 11 leaf left was initially cut by a lvl 3 worker, the next worker to cut it was lvl 2.
So it does not have to be the same ant who harvested the plant before.