Making 3.1's Enemy Atta Colony More Fair

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
It's sort of problematic that the winning strategy for 3.1 insane requires the AI being quirky and avoiding the leaves directly south of them. If this gets patched, there's a pretty serious risk of even hard being unbeatable without serious luck on creature spawns, and medium is prone to being absurdly challenging compared what you can expect in other levels.

Something that seems to be one of the bigger issues with fighting the enemy colony is when setting back their harvesting teams results in them sending out their majors in a group with their media. This group will harvest leaves after it's taken back a harvesting site, which means they'll actually collect food at about the same pace if not faster than if you just left them alone (which is why Balanite's strategy avoids all combat until a site is already clear). This seems like an odd thing to punish the player for, and it's a very common mistake for people to make in easy and medium, so I think it's necessary that a change is made to disable this combat unit's ability to harvest anything. The harvesting group might be sent back out w/ the minors while this defensive group is still active, and there could be a delay after that group leaves before the media are returned to the harvesters so that they are unlikely to collect anything.

Essentially, harassing the enemy colony should be more rewarded, as it takes resources from the player to go out and do so, and it's currently better to ignore the other colony as much as possible. This is also somewhat necessary to balance the different difficulties, as much of what makes the level comfortable or even beatable at all is glitches or quirks w/ the AI.

Last edited:

MedinB

Colony
I have a tip: Since the leaves close to you are enough to make your colony doing a fine job, although I recommend as soon as you start 3.1 you start digging outside leaf storage tile & a refuse chamber right away. After this, start making another group of workers after you've collected from your queens workers. Start building around 40 – 60 workers until the nearby plants are almost all gone. Then start building Mediums./Majors This proved effective because I got ahead of the AI in leaves and with more workers there is a chance that the enemy soldiers will attack the WORKERS not your soldiers as a distraction.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
I have a tip: Since the leaves close to you are enough to make your colony doing a fine job, although I recommend as soon as you start 3.1 you start digging outside leaf storage tile & a refuse chamber right away. After this, start making another group of workers after you've collected from your queens workers. Start building around 40 – 60 workers until the nearby plants are almost all gone. Then start building Mediums./Majors This proved effective because I got ahead of the AI in leaves and with more workers there is a chance that the enemy soldiers will attack the WORKERS not your soldiers as a distraction.
Which difficulty? I personally seem to have more success with media, just because they are able to handle threats better.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
The problem I had when trying it out early on was that hard and insane spawn more jumping spiders, harvestmen, trapjaws, and rove larvae near your nest. For this reason, I prefer to build media over minors, as it makes small threats far easier to manage, especially when you start moving outward and start facing mantises and bush crickets.

MedinB

Colony
The problem I had when trying it out early on was that hard and insane spawn more jumping spiders, harvestmen, trapjaws, and rove larvae near your nest. For this reason, I prefer to build media over minors, as it makes small threats far easier to manage, especially when you start moving outward and start facing mantises and bush crickets.
Try that, but we don't have mantis on 3.1.

MedinB

Colony
I think the main idea we are struggling is the not a lot of enemy creatures go fight the AI colony so were like the bad colony. Liam said this is not cheating, I saw AI Build demolish soil, and it takes like 20 seconds.

Last edited:
T
We do though? M mantises spawn fairly regularly, and insane makes L mantises somewhat common on the high-ground later on.
Large mantis' aren't an issue later if you choose taunt majors. Check out my video I only fight 1 mantis but it gets completely overrun. Also taunt majors seem to help more then stun majors against the roving lockjaw ants.