Mods? Tiger Beetle removal/disable?

Are there any mods available yet?

I took a quick peek at the games files and it sorta looks like everything is obfuscated so modding may be a no-go as it stands now. You guys might consider opening it up a bit. I bet the player innovation would really spur your creativity and speed up development.

I'd love a mod to remove the blasted tiger beetles. I'm having a lot of fun trying different nest layouts and strategies on the "surrounded" scenario but the tiger beetles make it unplayable after a few minutes. Maybe a mod to halve their speed and damage?

I'd also love a map editor. I have a few ideas about conquest maps that I would love to create.

Lastly, and on a more general note; it honestly kinda erks me that I didn't pay anything for this "demo" (game). I'm going to go find some way to donate now but I've gotta say, you devs are selling yourselves short by just giving it away. It's a great concept with plenty good enough graphics and interesting game mechanics.

Not to be an arrogant ass but maybe y'all should:
1. Release a map editor. I bet your player base is fine working with triggers and light scripting.
2. Create a space for players to share their maps/scenarios online.
3. With the player-made map resources, the demo will be fleshed out enough to be worth decent money. Sell it for $15 and send free copies to youtube gamer types. The sales can fund further development and you can increase the price incrementally as the feature list gets longer.

Anyway, thanks for the awesome game and for reading my little brain dump! Good luck to y'all!

Redmoth27

Queen
Backer
I think the game would be great with mods. There should be a later in development where there are certain shortcuts for people to install mods easy.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Thanks for being so enthusiastic about the game. Let me answer a few of the points:

- Yes, for now, we're not opening up the files for modding. However, we've been making things with a possible future for modding in mind - for instance, John developed his spreadsheet-based abilities system for creatures, meaning you define what a creature does simply by numbers in a CSV file. So modding is definitely a possibility in the future, we just don't want it happening now as it would confuse things so early in development.

- Ha, the tiger beetles are formidable indeed. You're right in that modding could sort this (we want them to be very tricky), but in the time being you might want to test your nest layouts using freeplay, so you can spawn what you like in at your own pace.

- There is an internal map editor that our level designer uses, built for him. However, it's rough and ready and in no way fit for public consumption. It's something we'd love to one day do and release to everyone, but we've got to get the game we promised to our backers out first. Simply a matter of priority with a tiny team like us.

- You can actually support the game right now if you want - just go to http://www.eotugame.com and click on "Support the Development" - this will open up a page from itch.io (all legit and secure) where you can buy the Backer's Demo for $19.99. This will also give you a Steam key that will give you Early Access to the project this summer, and eventually the full game.

We don't plan on expanding the demo any more now. We're happy in that we've been quite generous to this point, and that demo will always be free for everyone to play. But for the big, big changes that are coming up in the summer, the game will be $19.99. So we're not just giving it away for free, we've just tried to get people excited about it!

Again, thanks for your enthusiasm and for taking the time to get in touch. We really appreciate it!

Done, just bought it!
Will definitely be checking back frequently as things progress.
It's a great concept, I'm excited to see what it looks like in a year.