Most interesting species you have seen so far?

Were there any fish that popped up in your games that had any odd features, habits, strategies, or movement systems?

There was one predator I saw that managed to dominate the environment in a way that could work around the spotty AI. It had a white body shaped like a long pipe. Instead of going for larger prey, it would beeline to nurseries and gobble up the little, dumber fish inside. Its long body would rotate towards the prey instead of swimming to them, allowing it to save a ton of time and avoid needing complex neural networks to get to them. I also noticed that it was eating fish that I couldn’t actually see. Like it was eating eggs or something.

There was also a forager species, hilariously named the “sadfish”, that managed to remain at a steady 8-12 population for hours, as other species boomed and collapsed around them. They looked like a binder full of papers learned how to swim, with tons of flat fins stacked on a tiny torso. Their movement was also painfully inefficient. They spasmed their way over to their food sources. So how did they survive? If you were to look at the log, they seemed to be the only ones eating. And they ate a *ton.* Not only that, but they managed to avoid becoming a naturally-occurring “school” because of how non-streamlined their movement was. They couldn’t keep a cohesive group. Other fish, with similar AI and mobility options, would naturally group together. The ones at the front would eat, while the others would starve. Although the Sadfish never dominated in numbers, their influence drastically lowered the food supply and made one of the most interesting games I ever played.

Ashton.K

Worker
I found a species the other day that was a long pipe similar to how you described, but it was tan and a forager. The first generations had 1 fin on their side and a singular tail fin that looked like a leaf on the end of a stick. Eventually some had evolved to have 2 fins, and I was genuinely amazed watching them try to swim. They'd propel themselves forwards, then try to move their fins back but would just push themselves back to where they were. Over time, one of them in particular would propel forwards, twist his fins to move them forwards and do it again like real fish do.

Then they were pushed to extinction by a rival species that floated vertically through the ocean. I never ever understood that.

Tom Johnson

Queen
Developer of Ecosystem
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Stories like these are one of my favorite things about game development. The descriptions were really well written.

person111

Colony
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Heh. I put two of these guys in a big ecosystem and this happened. I tried to kill them off with predators but it didn't work and the predators died of. they are called "ionmora" and the screen is filled with fish. And it doesn't matter when and where I place it, It eats everything and pretty much "kill" everything else because of starvation, yeah saving them was a mistake. First, the creature looked like some sort of flatworm-like fish with two meaty fins on either side, it was interesting because instead of using the fins to propel themselves, they kind of nod up and down to try to swim forwards. And the more I looked at it, the more interesting it gets. After checking some of the fishies in the ecosystem. I found a guy just staying still, not moving a muscle. So I thought that This fish has a pretty small brain like some of the others I found with only a single line for a brain. But I was wrong, It has the biggest brain of any other species that I've ever seen. And I think the reason why these guys literally dominate every single game I play is because they can reproduce fast and they eat alot. So basically after they've eaten they just let their bodies float around in a big school. So sometimes populations of them can just skyrocket into 35,50,100,250! And the fact that I got lazy and changed their diets to every may contribute to the fact that these guys can survive everywhere and simultaneously compete with every other species and win without effort. I will try to experience more in the future and see if they can survive an ecosystem full of predators or no food. Cause 1 fish can have like 4 children, and they ended up having the record of having the most children at once for me, 8 of 'em! So unless the "ionmora" gets smarter and learns to immigrate or something I have to restrict myself from destroying everything with it.

Tom Johnson

Queen
Developer of Ecosystem
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Heh. I put two of these guys in a big ecosystem and this happened. I tried to kill them off with predators but it didn't work and the predators died of. they are called "ionmora" and the screen is filled with fish. And it doesn't matter when and where I place it, It eats everything and pretty much "kill" everything else because of starvation, yeah saving them was a mistake. First, the creature looked like some sort of flatworm-like fish with two meaty fins on either side, it was interesting because instead of using the fins to propel themselves, they kind of nod up and down to try to swim forwards. And the more I looked at it, the more interesting it gets. After checking some of the fishies in the ecosystem. I found a guy just staying still, not moving a muscle. So I thought that This fish has a pretty small brain like some of the others I found with only a single line for a brain. But I was wrong, It has the biggest brain of any other species that I've ever seen. And I think the reason why these guys literally dominate every single game I play is because they can reproduce fast and they eat alot. So basically after they've eaten they just let their bodies float around in a big school. So sometimes populations of them can just skyrocket into 35,50,100,250! And the fact that I got lazy and changed their diets to every may contribute to the fact that these guys can survive everywhere and simultaneously compete with every other species and win without effort. I will try to experience more in the future and see if they can survive an ecosystem full of predators or no food. Cause 1 fish can have like 4 children, and they ended up having the record of having the most children at once for me, 8 of 'em! So unless the "ionmora" gets smarter and learns to immigrate or something I have to restrict myself from destroying everything with it.
Like an invasive species in real life! Just showing up and taking over if they get released somewhere. A population of 250 is impressive, I think that is pretty close to the maximum possible.