Moving the queen around the nest?

((I thought of this while playing the Hold Out challenge, where the tunnel from the entrance leads directly to the queen ant. Obviously this doesn't immediately apply to challenges where there is no nest entrance.))

This would be most applicable in a free play mode, but it would be nice if as the game progressed and the nest expanded, the workers could move the queen to different sections, away from the entrance. It's a little odd that the queen ant would be placed so close to where enemy mobs come in. Often my biggest loss is the bottle neck that forms at the entrance of the colony, and despite having plenty of food, the ants in charge of placing eggs are too close to the action because the queen is so near, and end up fighting to death since their fight option can't be toggled on and off, leaving the queen completely alone.

Since the game technically starts out with the queen's cloistral cell, it makes sense that she would be close to where she moved in. But I feel like it would add a deeper element to nest design if the option to relocate the queen and the 7 ants she's surrounded by was added. Where ever she moves, those cells she rests on would be placed, and things would function as usual. It would be especially practical in a freeplay mode, where moving the colony/ the queen as territory expands would make sense, so the ants don't have to travel as far to get eggs from the queen.

Really love the game and am happy to give feedback to help it grow!

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
end up fighting to death since their fight option can't be toggled on and off, leaving the queen completely alone.

Move them to an unused pheromone, and set to no combat. This is the first thing I do every mission. We'll get nest group options later, as the devs mentioned.

Currently, no change is planned, as it would destroy balance by making it far to easy to spam "mazes."

Rayalot72 said:
end up fighting to death since their fight option can't be toggled on and off, leaving the queen completely alone.

Move them to an unused pheromone, and set to no combat. This is the first thing I do every mission. We'll get nest group options later, as the devs mentioned.

Currently, no change is planned, as it would destroy balance by making it far to easy to spam "mazes."

Thanks for the reply! Will they still do nest jobs if I move them to an unused pheromone? I'll try that strategy and see how it goes, either way. And that makes sense as well with the maze spamming. I'l just have to get better at dealing with the waves. Thanks again!

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Thanks for the reply! Will they still do nest jobs if I move them to an unused pheromone? I'll try that strategy and see how it goes, either way. And that makes sense as well with the maze spamming. I'l just have to get better at dealing with the waves. Thanks again!

No problem!

Yah, workers in any pheromone will behave as normal. The only thing that would interrupt them is if they are placed somewhere, in which case they will only do jobs that are on the way or around the pheromone marker. I have a habit of always using 1 for this, but most people prefer 5 since it's more out of the way.

Ok awesome! Moving the ants to an unused group works out great for me so I've been doing that ever since. Much better results heading forward. Thanks!