my suggestions :)

moomin

Larva
first off hello all! Only own the game for 2 weeks or so but managed to get 50 hours in or so.

Anyways, I have some suggestions.
Disclaimer, I went back 6 pages and don't think I've found these, or might've overlooked them. I've also been unable to fully catch up to all posts since I've noticed the dev(s) reply on this forum (props to u guys! :) ) I might've missed few posts that could've answered these.

1 - start dig button for first block
I've seen the place dirt feature has basicly been rejected which I fully understand. I would love a bottle neck around the entrance :) but that's OP. So what I suggest is a "start dig" button. Or a double click. Something that keeps the ants from going at it.
Why ?
# I find myself accidently ruining battle plans/tactics :) The nantics accidently running through the line of defense thus crippling army as replacements dont come in.
# I'm not convinced it's 100% of the times entirely my fault. Going back and forth from the formicarium to other menus or perhaps even the outworld does that as well. Admittedly i didn't take the time to test this.
# I've played some maps a few times already. I find myself first collecting smoe food for like 5 ants and then just map out the entire base I want. I do this by skipping 1 tile and then map it out.
For me especially when building bigger hallways that lead to and from the queen i'd like to just map it all out then click the tiles again to start a dig.

Once the digging has begun i wouldn't mind if the rest of the connected "to-dig"tiles get dug as well. I'd just like the first one to not start immediatly.

2 - Gateway missions critters drop food. (if formicarium is same level as the mission)

I suspect the bugs we can spawn manually and the ones in the gateway missions disappear so you can't stock the warehouses to the max.
(Currently the max level is 2.) For my lvl 2 formicarium i've collected all the jelly to upgrade whatever possible. Now I like to run the gateway missions every now and then as well :) So you can see the formicarium work. Get ideas for a new one etc. Anyways, when we run the gateway mission of level 2 on a lvl 2 formicarium it's a safe bet atleast some ants die.
If making them not disappear is not an option, can they perhaps drop a seed? or 2? :) And take away the dropped seeds in the outworld. We get plenty of food from the missions.
Don't forget, if a significant portion of your ants suddenly are taking food away to some distant storage.. That could really influence the outcome of the battle.

3 - Queen of the hill needs, in my humble opinion, fish that's available for one more round. If that requires the total mission to be 1 round longer that's cool :)
Perhaps it's my amateurism,.. but i Always find myself to really sorta be 1 round late for the fish. Or i have to defend the trail so heavily it's not worth it as the next rounds you kinda need atleast 1 ant cow patch. Still.. this is the best map of all of them in my opinion :) I've horded all the jelly here.

4 - also MORE FISH! (or whichever huge-dead-creature-food.. even if i have to go to constant-war for it.. )

Love the game :) Love the setting.. Good job !

"if a significant portion of your ants suddenly are taking food away to some distant storage.. That could really influence the outcome of the battle." there is an option to disable gathering that might help you, also "And take away the dropped seeds in the outworld. We get plenty of food from the missions." are a good way of changing the fight a little as it gives you a breather between the waves, assuming that the later waves will be a bit harder it would be nice to have that time to restock your supplies a little and also to get some movement, it feels good to get all of that food and then manage to hide back inside your nest before the enemy ants reach it and it definitly got a couple of my workers the first time the scientist dropped those seeds