New Ability

mrm181

Worker
What are your thoughts on the ants, worker most likely, being able to move dirt around to create barriers/walls etc. similar to when a worker removes the dirt in the nest, but this adds the dirt back?

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
It's been discussed repeatedly and of course it's an idea the guys had since they first made the game, but it's not something that really works with the setup the game has (the queen being a central point that has to be defended). Rebuilding walls causes all sorts of problems with path finding without having to do clunky things like check that a path is always open to the queen (otherwise, you'd just wall her in as soon as there's danger) or making it easy to build labyrinthine paths to her that unbalances the levels.

That's not to say that we definitely won't ever have rebuilding walls, but I wouldn't expect it to be in the main campaign. Perhaps we could have fun with the concept in a special extra level.

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
What are your thoughts on the ants, worker most likely, being able to move dirt around to create barriers/walls etc. similar to when a worker removes the dirt in the nest, but this adds the dirt back?
In this post I have gone into some depth to try and come up with ideas that might allow rebuilding walls underground while trying to not make it to powerfull as a defence and that I think should not break any current level:
http://forum.slugdisco.com/index.php?threads/idea-0-21142-ideas-on-underground-landscaping.4262/

Mr_Ced

Colony
In a way, this forces players to be better at planning, and consequently better at finding the best way to do so.

guys I can't count how many times we've asked there's no need to continue asking for it, the devs have said no whatever the system we proposed, I don't know if it's for balance or else but if they say so, I guess they have reasons to refuse

Scyobi_Empire

Colony
Extremely Helpful Person
Ecosystem Beta Tester
It's been discussed repeatedly and of course it's an idea the guys had since they first made the game, but it's not something that really works with the setup the game has (the queen being a central point that has to be defended). Rebuilding walls causes all sorts of problems with path finding without having to do clunky things like check that a path is always open to the queen (otherwise, you'd just wall her in as soon as there's danger) or making it easy to build labyrinthine paths to her that unbalances the levels.

That's not to say that we definitely won't ever have rebuilding walls, but I wouldn't expect it to be in the main campaign. Perhaps we could have fun with the concept in a special extra level.
May I suggest pinning a post that goes over why walls wont be an option in the main campaign?