New Ants

How many ants do you will in this game ? Or what is preview ?

(I don't want a answer like "A lot" or "we will see by the time" xD)

-Keep that work

W1nter.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
There was a flowchart of sorts of the plans before release, which I think implied we'd have 5 species besides the ereptor at the end.

We don't really know what those species will be, however.

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
We do so far have:
- Formica fusca
- Formica rufa

Next update we get:
- Leafcutters (judging by the size probably Acromyrmex)
- Odontomachus sp (Trapjaw ants, non-playable)
- Army ants (from the looks probably Eciton sp., non-playable)

So if they make trapjaws and army ants playable we're at 5 (not sure if army ants would be viable as a playable species as they don't build nests and would require a completely different economy). I'm still hoping for Camponotus though because of their sheer size and extreme polymorphism.
Pheidole would be a nice addition as well and fulfill the tiny crawly ant niche (they could come in squads of 6 for the minors and squads of 2 for the soldiers).

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
I hope once enemy colonies are added in the future, we can play with them in free play mode. It would be fun just to mess around with them and steal some brood, and it would be challenging to survive.

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
I agree it would be fun to include some of the other species as Freeplay colonies. Some would be relatively straight forward if you were no striving for realism (trap-jaws, army ants) however the slave makers behave quite differently to normal creatures in the stealing. Not really sure how it would work.

They should have a lot of things lol. My biggest frustration has been not being able to go past the 2.1 challenge which supposedly will eventually lead to 3.0.....(cough been asking for that for like a year on steam forums)…. That said, they are working hard on it I just wish our ant colonies could be larger, I mean how many ant colonies in real life are limited to 150 ants:p Unless there is a giant anteater around not many lol

Mr_Ced

Colony
I do have a few ideas on how slave makers could work. My first is to have a caste dedicated to stealing and attacking, like the rufa. Or have a new button in a pheromone marker exclusive to slave maker species of ants. There would be workers and tanks. Tanks should be less expensive owing to how useless they are in doing damage, so they would merely exist for the purpose of distracting the enemy. Chambers would be dedicated to holding stolen brood.

I'd be interesting in the future (I'm talking maybe 5.1 and 5.2) if we saw bullet ants and how they would do in their missions and freeplay due to their sheer size and power. You could counter the abusive spamming of them by making their species cost 3x the fusca or something.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
As it stands bullet ants aren't planned to have their own separate missions - instead they'll be an end-of-game bonus unit that you can unlock for your formicarium with royal jelly (and therefore Freeplay).

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
Cool! Well maybe months after the leaf cutter update is released, I'm assuming there will be updates to free play, or enemy colony AI, or maybe challenge modes. Maybe with one of those updates we could see trapjaw or army ants from the leaf cutter levels playable in free play mode... if as Liam says it is not too time consuming to do. This could keep people from getting too impatient with a bunch of more stuff to do.

Cool! Well maybe months after the leaf cutter update is released, I'm assuming there will be updates to free play, or enemy colony AI, or maybe challenge modes. Maybe with one of those updates we could see trapjaw or army ants from the leaf cutter levels playable in free play mode... if as Liam says it is not too time consuming to do. This could keep people from getting too impatient with a bunch of more stuff to do.

I have been itching for 3.0 to come out for soooo long lol. Everytime I see a new patch im like please be 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2. then after I read the patch notes on steam Aww crap lol....