Optional Beta 0.22 Available Now - Tug of War, Freeplay AI

damn that looks cool, can't wait to get a good internet back to play it, also, you mention making the AI cheat in varying degrees, can someone who's already played the beta specify what are those cheats ?

MedinB

Colony
damn that looks cool, can't wait to get a good internet back to play it, also, you mention making the AI cheat in varying degrees, can someone who's already played the beta specify what are those cheats ?
The tooltips are kinda buggy. Here is a stream with the cheats. It's a bit different but it's really the same. (like the colony recovering from attacks when they are dead) I should have the time for you.

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Found another error, by the way! You can't save in Freeplay at the current time. Either that, or the Freeplay AI prevents saving. One of the two. I haven't actually played a match without the AI since it was released! X)
Currently saving is disabled as I have not tracked down and implemented things the AI needs to save to restore properly

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Here are the tooltips for the various cheats. Unfortunately the way drop downs work in unreal is you cannot have tooltips show as you are selecting the options. Need to build our own dropdowns really to work around this.

Bot cheating

Off – The colony will start with a partly dug out nest, a few extra workers and a small number of extra resources. When resources are low and most ants are dead, they can extremely rarely hatch ants for free.

Headstart

1 – The colony will start with a small amount of nest prebuilt and a medium sized resource injection. When resources are low and most ants are dead, they can rarely hatch ants for free.

Underhanded

2 – The colony will start with a partly pre built nest and a medium resource injection. They will rarely replace eggs without the need for workers and their construction cost is lowered slightly. When resources are low and most ants are dead, they can sometimes hatch ants for free.

Cheater

3 – The colony will start with a prebuilt nest and a large resource injection. They will sometimes replace eggs without the need for workers and their construction cost is lowered. They will rarely hatch ants for free.

Crooked

4 – The colony will start with a large prebuilt nest and a large resource injection. They will often replace eggs without the need for workers and their construction cost is greatly lowered. They will sometimes hatch ants for free and will sometimes receive extra resource injections.

Corrupt

5 – The colony will start with a large prebuilt nest and a large resource injection. They will often replace eggs without the need for workers and their construction cost is greatly lowered. They will often hatch ants for free and will often receive resource injections.

First of all, Thanks for your amazing job. Your game is really good quality, strategic, fun... It's really good. Thanks again.

For this AI Beta, I would like to submit two reviews :

-The first one is the same as The Rex Yo. I created files from his work Formica Supremis in order to have only ArmyAnt ereptor, only ondontomachus etc... Those files I made work if I play them by myself but unfortunately when you give those Ereptor files to AI, they just recruit wokers, nothing more.
I think it's probably very easy for you to add in the recruitable list for AI all those non playable ants.

So it's not really error ^^

-The second, I don't know if some people talked to you about that, but after 1h-1h30 of game, 2 AI Colonies on 3 started to do nothing. (I putted in this game Corrupt, Crooked and cheater)
They stayed home, they didn't claimed food. I was surprised and invade them to see what was happening inside their nest.
For the corrupt cheat option AI colony I putted (Wood ant), they had big army inside the nest. But except defend their queen and push me back, they still stayed in the nest. For the Crooked (Black ant) and Cheater (LeafCutter) colonies, I observed different situation. The crooked one had simply very few ants BUT didn't look like to have the desire to change this situation. They were staying home.
Finaly, the Cheater colony was doing well, still looking for food and attacking me.

Voilà, it's my review from a 2h game long, need to play more to see if these situations happen to me again.

Thanks again for your amazing job !!!!!!!!!

EDIT :
Played 2 hours today, I lost ^^ but strangely, enemy ants block my queen but don't attack her. I'm waiting for her to die, but nothing. They finaly leave without killing her. Same situation in 2 different games several times in each game.

Suggestion for freeplay

What do you think about adding a color scheme "natural" ?
It would let the player be able to play or to face the exactly same ants he played in formicarium missions.
I know that for black ants it's easy, but what about wood ants and leafcutter ? Could be nice to play without color stripes on the abdomen.

All colors present in freeplay are cool, but this one could be a good idea to add.
For example, I love the wood ants and their hard black head in freeplay (the ones looking for fish).
Anyway, thats purely aesthetic.

Thanks !

Last edited:

MedinB

Colony
First of all, Thanks for your amazing job. Your game is really good quality, strategic, fun... It's really good. Thanks again.

For this AI Beta, I would like to submit two reviews :

-The first one is the same as The Rex Yo. I created files from his work Formica Supremis in order to have only ArmyAnt ereptor, only ondontomachus etc... Those files I made work if I play them by myself but unfortunately when you give those Ereptor files to AI, they just recruit wokers, nothing more.
I think it's probably very easy for you to add in the recruitable list for AI all those non playable ants.

So it's not really error ^^

-The second, I don't know if some people talked to you about that, but after 1h-1h30 of game, 2 AI Colonies on 3 started to do nothing. (I putted in this game Corrupt, Crooked and cheater)
They stayed home, they didn't claimed food. I was surprised and invade them to see what was happening inside their nest.
For the corrupt cheat option AI colony I putted (Wood ant), they had big army inside the nest. But except defend their queen and push me back, they still stayed in the nest. For the Crooked (Black ant) and Cheater (LeafCutter) colonies, I observed different situation. The crooked one had simply very few ants BUT didn't look like to have the desire to change this situation. They were staying home.
Finaly, the Cheater colony was doing well, still looking for food and attacking me.

Voilà, it's my review from a 2h game long, need to play more to see if these situations happen to me again.

Thanks again for your amazing job !!!!!!!!!

EDIT :
Played 2 hours today, I lost ^^ but strangely, enemy ants block my queen but don't attack her. I'm waiting for her to die, but nothing. They finaly leave without killing her. Same situation in 2 different games several times in each game.

Suggestion for freeplay

What do you think about adding a color scheme "natural" ?
It would let the player be able to play or to face the exactly same ants he played in formicarium missions.
I know that for black ants it's easy, but what about wood ants and leafcutter ? Could be nice to play without color stripes on the abdomen.

All colors present in freeplay are cool, but this one could be a good idea to add.
For example, I love the wood ants and their hard black head in freeplay (the ones looking for fish).
Anyway, thats purely aesthetic.

Thanks !
Your ants I'm sure is “red” on campaign missions. And keep in mind the AI is basic and programming that stuff is difficult work. And without stripes is black color.

Last edited:

TheRexYo

Queen
Your ants I'm sure is “red” on campaign missions. And keep in mind the AI is basic and that is hard work! And without stripes is black color.
Actually, in the missions, you use the base coloring for the ant species in question. It's the same as when you play as a non-ereptor colony in Freeplay.

TheRexYo

Queen
Your ants I'm sure is “red” on campaign missions. And keep in mind the AI is basic and that is hard work! And without stripes is black color.
Actually, based on what I saw during the dev-streams, the AI just picks from a list of ant species randomly. Because the default ant species are all that they expect you to use, they haven't actually added the other types To add other ants to the list requires some copy-pasting and dropdown-clicking, since they made the game in Unreal Engine. So really, it's much easier than you think. Don't get me wrong - I don't think they should simply add the ants to the list. I actually recommend an entirely different tactic. Instead of choosing from a list of predefined ants, it should use whatever ants the player gives in their colony setup. It's an easy-to-code, dynamic method that should save work for them later on, since they won't need to add Fire Ants (and Driver Ants, Bullet Ants, or whatever else they decide to add) to the lists and code later on.

MedinB

Colony
I wonder, what will the difficulty for AI means when added, What will it mean if its on easy? Do we really need this?
ice_screenshot_20200816-231821.png

Mr_Ced

Colony
Interesting. How fast it will to react. I would say Normal or Medium should be a good one.
My personal preference would be Insane. I play Starcraft quiet a bit (I'm still very slow) and it would be interesting to test my abilities as a player since I am pretty fast at this game.

MedinB

Colony
Checking back at Tug of War. I literally go an unfair lost due to the fact the ants won't attack in the exit tunnels. It happens a lot in this map actually. Lol.

Last edited:

HofNerd

Colony
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Checking back at Tug of War. I literally go an unfair lost due to the fact the ants won't attack in the exit tunnels. It happens a lot in this map actually. Lol.
Same for me. My ants get split up by this too, resulting in them becoming less effective.

MedinB

Colony
It's like those old games.

There are a lot of traps and when you fail, you have to start completely over from scratch. That's why I hate playing games like that, because it's unfair. Just thought I would mention it.

Last edited: