Pesky cobweb

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Sigh. We thought we'd had a nice cleanup of the lab, but it turns out there's still ants all over the floor from that dratted scientist and his careless experimentation methods. Why did we hire him anyway? ::)

And to make matters worse, there's a persistent cobweb that keeps appearing at the back of the lab. Our cleaners are at a loss - could someone have a look at it for us? Thanks.

wvSK4Ib.jpg

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Hard game. I sort of got a strategy working with prioritizing in the order venom, cripple, devour, bite, but the larger enemies are all immune to slow effects, so I eventually got double-teamed by devil's coach horse after a confuse.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Rayalot72 said:
Hard game. I sort of got a strategy working with prioritizing in the order venom, cripple, devour, bite, but the larger enemies are all immune to slow effects, so I eventually got double-teamed by devil's coach horse after a confuse.

The DCH is where I generally bite it. John's much better at it than me - kiting the smaller adults using upgraded venom strike is a good strategy, then timing to avoid the uber's spray.

We're thinking of doing something of a competition with it when more people notice!

Mr_Ced

Colony
I love the spider mini-game, but I would like to have the option to use WASD. In my last game, I made the mistake of going into the spider nest! I really need to learn the map...

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
I can give some strategy tips (at least how I balanced the map)
For a start all the creatures stats are different from the real game to give logical progression. Best to stick to the order they appear in the top left (objectives).

There are two ways you can build the spider that the game is balanced around. The first is using bite as primary damage, venom strike as secondary, the rest of your points going into devour. You should also consider putting a single point into crippling purely to pull an enemy. This route provides extra health as bite increases your health so you essentially out survive a fight (devouring an enemy when you need to).

Bite > Venom Strike > Devour > Crippling (1 point to pull enemies)

The second is the kiting tactic. Note no enemies are immune to slow but they have resistance to it. so for example the big enemies may have 60% resistance to slow, reducing any slow effect on them by 60% (so if you are not slowing them more than 60% it will do nothing). In order for kiting to work properly you should put a lot of points into the slow so order wise.

Venom Strike > Crippling > Devour > (no points into bite)

It is worth noting that towards the end of the game you will need to heal more, so as you are entering into the spiders area start prioritising Devour even over damage (the spiders hit hard!)

Would be interested to hear other peoples tactics.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
The second is the kiting tactic. Note no enemies are immune to slow but they have resistance to it. so for example the big enemies may have 60% resistance to slow, reducing any slow effect on them by 60% (so if you are not slowing them more than 60% it will do nothing). In order for kiting to work properly you should put a lot of points into the slow so order wise.

Is this actually the case? I had gotten it to 99% slowed and it seemed to have no noticeable effect when used against DCH.

Talon

Queen
It's hard, but it's much fun.

The Devour-Ability makes me think about a suggestion. Is it possibly to add this game-mechanic to the critters in freeplay (maybe later missions too)?
It's good that dead corps vanish after a while. But it would be better if they get eaten by other creatures.

Redmoth27

Queen
Backer
The spider mini-game needs improvement. First, there needs to be a tutorial or maybe a pop-up showing you a video of what to do. It very hard to get ahold of the game the first time. Second, the controls are leaning to the terrible part of the movement spectrum. It's incredibly frustrating to walk up to an enemy, and then it suddenly moved and have to click on it again reorientate yourself. By then you have probably taken a fair share of damage. This could be improved by having a tutorial so you're fluent at the abilities and have the ability to use WASD. Also please make it so you don't have to always go back to the menu to start a new game, you should be able to start a new game after you die.

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Its true the controls do take some getting used to. I have built in WSAD movement and will be pushed with the next bug fix (hoping for tomorrow). Restarting is a good idea as well I will get that in!

Tutorial may be outside of the time that we have to work more on this (once we lock down the build tonight that will be it and we need to turn our attention back to the Leafcutter update)

I think I can increase the ability reaction times a bit so you will hit more often. Maybe that will be enough on that front.

Thanks for the feedback!

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Attacking is actually a lot easier using the hot keys (1 - 4 by default) as the abilities activate at the cursor location the moment the button is pressed. Certainly I would be surprised if you could beat it without hot keys as clicking the ability then the location is very slow.

I think this is the only way to get this.
Well, is there no way to learn this.
I knew that this game required a proper strategy to conquer.