Placement?

Tom Johnson

Queen
Developer of Ecosystem
Ecosystem Beta Tester
I assume its easier of the animals if the food is closer to the nursery then further away, but its still takes ages to get more plant points. Any tips?
To some extent, it does just take awhile (in the future, I can look into a mode that gives you everything up front). It's worth placing food close to the mating grounds as well. However, if foragers are very bunched up, they will be easier pickings for predators, while widely dispersed forager populations are more resilient (though this can make it too hard for the predators).

Hudston

Larva
(in the future, I can look into a mode that gives you everything up front)

I would love this. I'm finding myself wanting to set up experiments and having to run things half complete for awhile until I unlock more nutrition and having terraforming cost the same points that it costs to generate life feels unnecessarily limiting at the start.

Tom Johnson

Queen
Developer of Ecosystem
Ecosystem Beta Tester
I would love this. I'm finding myself wanting to set up experiments and having to run things half complete for awhile until I unlock more nutrition and having terraforming cost the same points that it costs to generate life feels unnecessarily limiting at the start.
It seems a lot of people would like this. I will be sure to get it in.

Also as a side note, I like the experimental approach you are taking. When I started development, I had to leave the game running all night just to get the creatures to evolve to swim.

Hudston

Larva
It seems a lot of people would like this. I will be sure to get it in.

Also as a side note, I like the experimental approach you are taking. When I started development, I had to leave the game running all night just to get the creatures to evolve to swim.

It's really impressive how quickly they get to a point where they can move after that initial burst of randomness to start with, but even after things settle down it can be really fascinating to see how things change over time. I've been setting them up with a nursery and breeding ground in one corner with a thin line of food all the way to the far corner, then gradually removing the food closest to them every time I check in. It's reliably generating some really fast swimmers! I'm looking forward to getting more to tinker with, the pathfinding stuff that just got posted has me wondering what will evolve when there's more to survival than just rapidly moving in a straight line!

Tom Johnson

Queen
Developer of Ecosystem
Ecosystem Beta Tester
It's really impressive how quickly they get to a point where they can move after that initial burst of randomness to start with, but even after things settle down it can be really fascinating to see how things change over time. I've been setting them up with a nursery and breeding ground in one corner with a thin line of food all the way to the far corner, then gradually removing the food closest to them every time I check in. It's reliably generating some really fast swimmers! I'm looking forward to getting more to tinker with, the pathfinding stuff that just got posted has me wondering what will evolve when there's more to survival than just rapidly moving in a straight line!
Thank you! That's a cool experiment and that's a direction I'm really interested in taking with the game, where the creatures are really strongly adapted to the specific environment you make. Hopefully adding more features like long-term behaviors and traits will help with this. I'd be really interested to hear if you get any standout results from the experimentation.