Playing the Game

Hello I am Having trouble launching the game it says it will not play on my chrome book and I have no idea why it isn´t working. Anyone know what´s going on?

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Hi, Chromebooks don't have the hardware capabilities to run the Unreal engine unfortunately.

Liam

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Hi Lethalinfinite. It's quite unlikely, but it might be worth letting us know what model/specification you have before we rule it out.

As far as I am aware, Chromebooks tend to be quite light as far as computing power goes and I think it is unlikely that you have a dedicated graphics card. Empires of the Undergrowth runs on Unreal Engine 4, which needs quite a lot of clout hardware-wise.

However - even if you have a powerful Chromebook, I assume it will be running Chrome OS? At the moment (and the foreseeable future) we don't support this operating system. Our primary focus is Windows 10, Mac OS, and Linux.

It is actually possible for you to install a Linux OS on a Chromebook - if you Google around you can find some tutorials, but this is more of a hobbyist's solution (in other words, you are likely to come up against more problems that will need more research to fix).

The best suggestion I can offer is to spend some money on a mid-range desktop tower if you can afford. Also, doing this won't just enable you to play Empires of the Undergrowth, but you will be able to explore a whole host of modern PC games that won't run on a Chromebook.

Ok thank you for the helpful information. But is it possible to use a flash drive on the chromebook then download the game information on their and then later play on it with the chromebook?

Planemaster

Worker
I think I may have the completely wrong end of the stick but, if I think I'm on the same trail of thought as you, a flash drive won't increase the game performance. The flash storage, generally referred to as an Solid State Drive, speeds up file access times. It will allow the game to load faster but doesn't increase its performance (e.g. Frames per second).

What I can suggest is buying/building an inexpensive system as EoTU isn't that hardware intensive compared to other games.