Please make the water warp shader optional

alexmay

Larva
I'm interested in this but have a hard time playing it due to the water warping shader that makes everything look like jelly. To me this doesn't really make it look more underwater, just that my eyes are going wrong.

Really impressed overall btw!

SJK

Larva
Music / Sound - Ecosystem
It will be optional in a future release. There just wasn’t time to get it into the demo.

Tom Johnson

Queen
Developer of Ecosystem
Ecosystem Beta Tester
I'm interested in this but have a hard time playing it due to the water warping shader that makes everything look like jelly. To me this doesn't really make it look more underwater, just that my eyes are going wrong.

Really impressed overall btw!
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it! I will make sure to get in a slider for that effect that allows you to turn it down or completely off (and the same with the fog).

alexmay

Larva
Thanks folks!
Regarding the fog, if you have time later, I recommend Jasper Flick's distance fog tutorial: https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/rendering/part-14/ to get around the "wall of fog" effect that depth fog creates. I used this in conjunction with some functions that bleed out colours based on a fragment's distance from the camera to simulate underwater Rayleigh scattering for Operation Apex. Sorry if you know all that already, happy to go into more detail if you like! It made a huge difference to have stuff rendered go cyan and then blue with distance.

Tom Johnson

Queen
Developer of Ecosystem
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Thanks folks!
Regarding the fog, if you have time later, I recommend Jasper Flick's distance fog tutorial: https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/rendering/part-14/ to get around the "wall of fog" effect that depth fog creates. I used this in conjunction with some functions that bleed out colours based on a fragment's distance from the camera to simulate underwater Rayleigh scattering for Operation Apex. Sorry if you know all that already, happy to go into more detail if you like! It made a huge difference to have stuff rendered go cyan and then blue with distance.
Thank you for the link! That's quite helpful, and the fog and water effects generally in Operation Apex look really outstanding, so I would certainly be keen to follow in its footsteps in that respect.