Predators are too strong.

irkmn

Larva
This game is very nice. I has recommended to my friends.
In my opinion, predators are too strong.
I knew this game on YouTube, and the video contributors had the same opinion.
I put foragers and predators in diagonal corners, but extinction was inevitable.

SJK

Larva
Music / Sound - Ecosystem
I put foragers and predators in diagonal corners, but extinction was inevitable.
Hi irkmn, the demo is meant to be just a small taste of the game. We are still in pre alpha so not all features are in yet.
Tom will be working on many interconnected systems and behaviors in the coming months. I can’t promise any specific features but the animals will likely be able to evolve defenses. in the mean time you could use your god powers and destroy any fish you think are too strong. Thanks for your question.

Tom Johnson

Queen
Developer of Ecosystem
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Thank you for the compliment and for telling your friends about the game. That kind of thing really helps a lot.

I appreciate the feedback regarding predator and prey populations. Getting them better balanced is something I'm actively working on. As Sam mentioned, I'll be adding more defensive traits which can help to protect prey, and I recently spoke with a biologist who suggested making the predators more K-selected, having less offspring but investing more in each one.

On thing I thought was kind of interesting: in labs it is also difficult to keep predator and prey populations in balance, as in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huffaker's_mite_experiment. It might help to disperse the food for the prey so that they are spread out and less vulnerable to a mass wipe (this works in lab conditions as well) but it only sort-of works and only sometimes. I am working towards a development solution though!