Rapid Fire or Mortar

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
The choice has proven to be entirely subjective. It depends on the enemies you're facing. If you're up against a lot of low-health targets, rapid fire is better. Lots of big creature, it's mortar.

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Mortar is only good if you're fighting enemies where it can actually use it's area-of-effect damage (the upgrade it gets at level 3). Against everything else the effective DPS of the rapid fires is way above because they can actually hit stuff (moving creatures, at L3 they even slow them). This wouldn't be an issue if the AOE effect of the mortars still applied if they missed their target but it doesn't.

In Freeplay if you have reached 50+ rapid fire shooters they can murder pretty much everything (except the ridiculously tough uber creatures) before it even makes close combat contact.

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
Ok thanks. I'm also wondering, what is the difference between physical and venom damage? Are there particular benefits from choosing venom over physical?

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Buffalo981 said:
Ok thanks. I'm also wondering, what is the difference between physical and venom damage? Are there particular benefits from choosing venom over physical?

Venom does straight up more damage. The downside here is that you cannot ride off of increased physical damage from crippling, but weakening is arguably far stronger with venom anyway as there's not a lot of good ways to do consistent physical damage with other ants atm, particularly with so much anti-melee.

Boy I just finished playing Level 2.1 on medium with mostly Workers and the Rapoid Wood ants it never felt so easy. Yesterday I tried in the battle Arena mortar vs. Rapid in the small numbers mortar dominate but in the larger numbers 40. 50. ish the Rapids simply Slaughter the Mortars and in Freeplay my dear Mortars on Level 3 mostly miss anything that remotely moves. Ergo time to start a new Formicarium with Rapids.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Current meta:

Rapid-fire: Formicarium, freeplay, 2.1 Insane and below, 2.2 Medium and below.

Mortar: freeplay attack waves, 2.2 hard/insane, 2.1 surviving past winning the game.