Realistic Survival Mode And Other Things

I have quite a few suggestions!

-Realistic freeplay mode with hunger bars (making starvation possible) and water bars (making dehydration possible) just to add a bit more difficulty. Maybe add more room to the map and have a little less enemies and prey insects. Maybe add in the possibility to bring aphids into the nest to raise them there.

-More food like, worms, grasshoppers, fruits, and more larger dead animals like rats, mice, opossums, and the ability to attack the nests of other ant colonies and other bugs like wasps and honeybees (of course to steal brood and honey).

-Tiny unlockable hats for your queen.

-The possibility to have the scientists from the campaign examine and feed your colony in the campaign levels and in the freeplay. They will comment on how your colony is doing and the male scientist will occasionally throw more bugs at you, the female scientist will occasionally feed your colony with crackers or bits of sandwich or something.

-More nest space.

-Super Majors (Ants with big heads, which specialize in cutting things with extra powerful mandibles) These ants can maybe carry more food to the nest and has more attack damage or something.

Last edited:

Mr_Ced

Colony
Super majors are actually coming in the near future, as part of the leafcutter update. Other ant colonies are on the way too.

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
Yeah I feel like leaf cutters will be very realistic. They will have a rainforest biome, many castes, new mechanics, and will grow fungus in brood chambers by collecting leaves, like in real life.

Yeah I feel like leaf cutters will be very realistic. They will have a rainforest biome, many castes, new mechanics, and will grow fungus in brood chambers by collecting leaves, like in real life.

I can't wait for this update! I love ants WAY too much. Heck. I even caught a queen ant at the beginning of her nuptial flights today! I just now got finished putting her in a test tube and tucking her away!

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Hey thanks for your suggestions, I will go through them in order:

Realistic freeplay mode with hunger bars (making starvation possible) and water bars (making dehydration possible) just to add a bit more difficulty. Maybe add more room to the map and have a little less enemies and prey insects. Maybe add in the possibility to bring aphids into the nest to raise them there.
Hunger was actually something I was considering in Freeplay but unfortunately ran out of time. I do agree it would be a really nice feature though how it would work would have to be considered carefully. I think ants feeding each other would be a bridge too far but possibly they need to eat 1 food when they hunger reaches 20% and will abandon what they are doing to do so? Otherwise could do something along the lines of you need to pay an amount of food every X seconds based on colony size, and if you do not have it it kills random ants or the queen takes damage if there are no ants to kill.
Regarding more room. We do introduce bigger maps as time goes on. We are always looking to make the game run better and the better it runs the bigger maps we can have. I am sure as we do more optimisation we will go for bigger maps.

More food like, worms, grasshoppers, fruits, and more larger dead animals like rats, mice, opossums, and the ability to attack the nests of other ant colonies and other bugs like wasps and honeybees (of course to steal brood and honey).
Worms are a little tricky because of their shape. Everything in the game so far is represented by a circle and moves with basic animation. We are actually trialling something that may make long creatures possible in the future so watch this space for news.
Lots more stuff coming in the next update that will take us to the rainforest

Tiny unlockable hats for your queen.
Ha maybe one day! Not a priority at the moment.

The possibility to have the scientists from the campaign examine and feed your colony in the campaign levels and in the freeplay. They will comment on how your colony is doing and the male scientist will occasionally throw more bugs at you, the female scientist will occasionally feed your colony with crackers or bits of sandwich or something.
I like the idea of more interactions with your formicaium colony. All voice lines for the next update are already recorded but maybe the updates beyond?

More nest space.
This again is a question of performance. More nest space means more ants and we need to be careful. Though I am sure there will be bigger nests at some point

Super Majors (Ants with big heads, which specialize in cutting things with extra powerful mandibles) These ants can maybe carry more food to the nest and has more attack damage or something.
As others have said, the next big update!

Hey thanks for your suggestions, I will go through them in order:

Hunger was actually something I was considering in Freeplay but unfortunately ran out of time. I do agree it would be a really nice feature though how it would work would have to be considered carefully. I think ants feeding each other would be a bridge too far but possibly they need to eat 1 food when they hunger reaches 20% and will abandon what they are doing to do so? Otherwise could do something along the lines of you need to pay an amount of food every X seconds based on colony size, and if you do not have it it kills random ants or the queen takes damage if there are no ants to kill.
Regarding more room. We do introduce bigger maps as time goes on. We are always looking to make the game run better and the better it runs the bigger maps we can have. I am sure as we do more optimisation we will go for bigger maps.

Worms are a little tricky because of their shape. Everything in the game so far is represented by a circle and moves with basic animation. We are actually trialling something that may make long creatures possible in the future so watch this space for news.
Lots more stuff coming in the next update that will take us to the rainforest

Ha maybe one day! Not a priority at the moment.

I like the idea of more interactions with your formicaium colony. All voice lines for the next update are already recorded but maybe the updates beyond?

This again is a question of performance. More nest space means more ants and we need to be careful. Though I am sure there will be bigger nests at some point

As others have said, the next big update!

Thank you so much for going over my ideas! For the nest space and more ants, I understand how that would cause performance issues. And the fact that hunger bars was already considered is awesome! I espesially like the idea of having to pay a certain amount of food every now and then. It would add a good little bit more difficulty and authenticity to the game! Your ideas are great and I can see why this is such a great game! Keep up the good work! :)

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
John, maybe the workers in the nest group will be responsible for feeding ants? Another reason to build more workers and not make a colony with three times the soldiers than workers.

JohnSlugDisco

Administrator
Staff member
Developer of EotU
Certainly you could have the workers be responsible for feeding larvae, feeding the ants though could be hard. Currently the workers do jobs in the nest based on an array of jobs and an overall manager dishes them out (its actually a really complex piece of code). I suppose you could have soldiers head home when they drop below a level of hunger then raise a job to be fed? Though if they have gone all the way back to the nest they may as well get the food themselves.

Mr_Ced

Colony
I think soldiers should be able to feed off of aphid farms while outside. While inside or nearby, perhaps during a raid, and they would be fed by the larva. (Ants use larva this way to break down food)