Screen Shot Saturday - Army Ants

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
The relentless march of the army ants is legendary. These ants form large colonies, living a nomadic lifestyle. They scour the rainforest, sending out waves of workers to demolish anything in their path to feed their expanding empire. Like many species of ant, they have a distinct caste system. In these pictures we see two separate castes of Eciton burchellii - small and medium-sized workers.

In Empires of the Undergrowth, the leafcutter colony will encounter army ants overlapping its territory. They represent a strong existential threat - unlike our leafcutters army ants readily eat meat, and the leafcutter's brood would be a nutritious prize.

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
Whoa! I was not expecting another completely different ant species! I suppose they are native to the rainforests of Ecuador, though. It should be interesting to face an enemy colony with a mobile queen that can send waves out at you and kill everything in their way. Also, is the darker colored worker the larger one? And I'm guessing there is a soldier caste that has not been revealed.

Daniel7Sly123

Ants are perfect!
With all these fantastic updates my hype exploded!And i wonder if the update will take more time (like 2 month) to be release. How long will we have to wait until the update?
Continue the good work!

Mr_Ced

Colony
I am already thinking they will raid our colonies much like the slave-makers, only maybe being more of a threat. Hopefully I will be able to hold them off in hard mode. Idk though. Anyway, I am HYPED for this update, especially with the change of scenery. Keep it up! :D

One species of ant that would fit in this environment are green tree ants. Their colonies are known for having medic ants that heal the wounded. and can build fortresses out of leaves.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
All of the ants people wanted to see are here tbh. Truly, this will be an exciting update when it hits.

Your absolutely right Rayalot72. I can't wait to see what the next snapshot is. the more of it I see, the more I want to play the update. ;D

Talon

Queen
Wow. You guys are blowing me away. 3 New Species. Only of them 1 playable for now, but thats okay. Keep up the good work.
I wonder if the Army Ants will have a classic EotU Nest or a more realistic. I can live with both options.

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
Bobby Quick said:
One species of ant that would fit in this environment are green tree ants. Their colonies are known for having medic ants that heal the wounded. and can build fortresses out of leaves.

This rainforest with leaf cutters, trapjaws, and army ants is in Ecuador. Green tree ants are native to Asian rainforests and Australia I believe.