Screen Shot Saturday - Beach Wolf Spider

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Each week we post a high resolution screenshot to social media. To allow discussion of these we will now also be posting these to the forum.

This image of the Beach Wolf Spider was posted on 18th March.

"[ARACHNOPHOBIA WARNING]

My my, who's this lovely creature? She's a beach wolf spider, and as pretty as she is (as far as spiders go) be warned - she's very partial to an ant or two."

beachspidershot1_18-3-17.png

AntsAreAwesome

Worker
Backer
I'm actually afraid of spiders, and this one is pretty scary. Hope I won't have to get close to it in-game lol. How large is this insect in-game? And I was wondering about the forest. How will that look?(that could be an idea for the next screenshot). Anyways great work! Looks quite real!

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
This one won't be too big - not much bigger than the tiger beetles. We'll likely be including much larger arachnids as Titans in the game though (certainly scorpions and possibly spiders).

The forest assets aren't ready to be shown yet, but when they are they'll get their own SSS.

Redmoth27

Queen
Backer
This makes me think. If you design a more open world level there should be mini-bosses and some secrets for the explorer type of player.

valentinbulgaru

My ants are dominating you!
Backer
Beta Tester
Redmoth27 said:
This makes me think. If you design a more open world level there should be mini-bosses and some secrets for the explorer type of player.

I agree with our friend about secrets and mini bosses.

Imagine how cool it would be to have some small "forbidden" region on the map (tempting to explore because maybe easy access to resources) where the player can get his ants infected with cordyceps fungus parasite and have a small animation where the ants are dying by having the fungus growing from their forehead, like in real life.

Ant-eaten-by-fungus.jpg

You guys have too much on your plate already, I was just throwing the idea it out there :p

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Mike said:
My my, who's this lovely creature? She's a beach wolf spider, and as pretty as she is (as far as spiders go) be warned - she's very partial to an ant or two."
That's a really nice spider.

Interestingly most spiders don't eat ants as they're way too risk work for little gain XD
The huntman spiders where I live will instantly dash away when they come into contact with a wood ant. These ants have a toxic gas attacks after all.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Valentin said:
Imagine how cool it would be to have some small "forbidden" region on the map (tempting to explore because maybe easy access to resources) where the player can get his ants infected with cordyceps fungus parasite and have a small animation where the ants are dying by having the fungus growing from their forehead, like in real life.

Cordyceps are planned to feature in the eventual campaign mode. Too cool a concept to not have some fun with!

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
There's also the ant-decapitating wasp. A solitary wasp that lays an egg onto an ant's body. The larva then eats the ant from inside and when done cuts off the head to crawl out and pupate.

These could be used as a detriment or to deny certain areas of the map. It could even be an objective to do something that causes them to go away (like killing off another ant colony that acts as primary hosts for them, so they move off the map looking for new breeding grounds).

Redmoth27

Queen
Backer
Mike, I recommend you read Bernard Werber's Empire of the Ants. It should give you some ideas for the game. Get the translated version, and there's a game from 2001 based off the book you should see.

Here's a link to a video of the game. https://youtu.be/r8n4cAzKFyo

Sorry if it looks old

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
We're thinking of including an "arachnophobia" mode that makes any arachnids less threatening somehow. Make them wear silly hats or something.

Shireknight

Larva
Backer
Beta Tester
Oooh that spider looks nasty lol.

If I remember correctly didn't Sim Ant have a feature where you could control the spider and take on the ants?, maybe you could include that option as a kind of bonus mode.

SkylerAcer

The Ants Are The Rulers Of Humans :D
That spider is scary :'(
And dinosaurs would be scary, but it would be good to give it a shot :D

HaukHans1

May the dinosaur be with you
Backer
Beta Tester
Redmoth27 said:
Actually, the dinosaurs should be barney and friends if you pick easy mode with that option on. ::)

I just wanna mention that Barney and friends is copyrighted material.

HaukHans1

May the dinosaur be with you
Backer
Beta Tester
Although saying that, I would be highly disapointed if there isn't a mode where spiders get switched out with fluffy raptors.