Screen Shot Saturday - Formica rufa acid artillery!

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Need some artillery? Formica rufa, the wood ant, can fire deadly formic acid at their foes from a distance! Pew pew!

In Empires of the Undergrowth, the acid-firing abilities of Formica rufa make them ideal to be the ranged unit. They'll attempt to stay a little further from enemies than most other units, and shoot acid at them instead. This adds some real damage to your army, as your melee units get stuck in, bolstered with extra DPS from the wood ants a little further back.

giphy.gif

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
The right one looks amazing. The left one looks just plain silly.

I'd rather give them a high damage attack with a long reload (or even better a long reload attack that does damage over time), fast rate of fire makes them look extremely silly and unnatural.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Serafine said:
The right one looks amazing. The left one looks just plain silly.

I'd rather give them a high damage attack with a long reload (or even better a long reload attack that does damage over time), fast rate of fire makes them look extremely silly and unnatural.

You'll have a choice. We rather like giving gameplay choices. Faster, lower damage, or slower, higher damage? What enemies will you be facing? Which choice is best for your situation?

Redmoth27 said:
Finally, this is great!

PS: I recommend you read my article on possible in-between lands.

I did have a read - thanks very much for the suggestions. We're pretty set on our path to early access and beyond now, anything else would take some major redesigns and there isn't enough time left for that. Not to say those suggestions won't give us some ideas for future updates, though (it all depends how the launch goes).

Planemaster said:
I can already see a few innuendos hatching from this...

Trust me, I'm pretty sure we've made all the jokes between those of us on the team already...

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
The left one looks like the shielded droids from Star Wars The Phantom Menace...

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaien_Saerin said:
Does the acid have too be white? i mean come on, thats so... lol

Formic acid is a clear substance, so we do our best to represent that whilst still being visible. Anything else you assign to that look is entirely down to you :p

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Imagine them with sound.
Right one: Pshhh. Pshhh. Pshhh.
Left one: Pshpshpshpshpshpshpshpsh... ::)