Screen Shot Saturday - Formica rufa, the Wood Ant

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
"And so, our ants encounter Formica rufa - the famed Wood ant. This species is notorious for spraying formic acid at its foes, as well as the huge nests it constructs.

In Empires of the Undergrowth, Formica rufa takes on a ranged role - its acid-spraying capabilities make it a considerable artillery unit. More to come on this fearsome species very soon!"

FormicaRufa-13.5.17.png

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Looks nice. I actually have a Formica rufa colony near my home.

Just as a note, garden ants (like Lasius niger) and sugar/carpenter ants (Camponotus) have formic acid as well, they just can't spray it around. They usually smear it at their prey, preferably at weak spots like leg joints.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
I have a very clear childhood memory of stepping in a Formica rufa nest as a child. I mainly remember a very strong smell of vinegar.

Redmoth27 said:
I noticed the tree and maybe the level could have destructible environment

We don't have destructible environments planned, but some levels might have things like debris your ants have to clear away to access an area.

Redmoth27

Queen
Backer
The destruction can prove a tactical purpose in later levels, like to build tempory walls that can slow down you and other colonys

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
I would be cool if it was possible to build underground barriers or plug enemy nest entrances like ants actually do in the wild.

HaukHans1

May the dinosaur be with you
Backer
Beta Tester
Seeing as how its going to be ranged, it shouldn't be too strong in a melee situation. Sure, they would be irl, but for the sake of game balance it should have good range dmg and decent melee dmg. If it has melee at all.