Screen Shot Saturday - Rove Beetles

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
The familiar devil's coach horse beetle falls under the wider classification of rove beetles, primarily distinguished by their small elytra (wing coverings) leaving most of their backs exposed. Many, many more species exist, and some of those are rainforest dwellers. These rove beetles inhabit the same forests as the leafcutter ants - and they're not friendly.

Leafcutters do not eat other creatures, but other creatures definitely eat them - so despite their fungus-farming ways, they'll still defend themselves with deadly zeal should anything dare to attack them.

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
Looking good! I am assuming these guys are going to be tougher, and maybe larger than devil's coach horse beetles?

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Raptorofwar said:
Or are they just reskins.

Matt wishes they were because he had to make them! We wanted to repurpose the DCH but because the DCH was the last of the models made in Blender before we started using Maya, it had to be pretty much done from scratch. But sort of. They'll fulfil that similar role that the DCH currently do with differences in stats and abilities.

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
differences in stats and abilities.

Excellent, that will make them much more interesting to fight, even if they are almost the same creature.

Talon

Queen
My first thought was "oh no, not an other variant of the same creature" then I read more about Rove Beetles and I must say now "it makes much sense to use them".

And for Matt: He made a verry good Job. They look good. I love the colouring.

I didn't beat the record. However I did get to level 27, so I'm kind of happy :) But then i just got swarmed by everything including like 20 spiders who ate all my larvi. OH well.

https://imgur.com/a/XYVf5lF

Not sure how to properly upload the screenshot.