Screen Shot Saturday - The Praying Mantis

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
The mantids are an iconic group of insects - known for their "praying" folded forelegs and upright posture, as well as their covert hunting techniques. This particular species is a leaf-mimic praying mantis (Pseudoxyops perpulchra), specifically adapted to hide in the foliage with near-perfect leaf camouflage. When fully grown, it's a voracious hunter of insects, using its natural stealth to get its quarry close.

In Empires of the Undergrowth, the leaf-mimic mantis will have a special stealth ability reflecting its natural prowess. It will not appear on the minimap - nor will its health bar be visible - until it decides to engage the player.

fMCYXns.jpg

oEKOYgX.jpg

nzqzx4a.jpg

d7CwrjU.jpg

This is pretty cool!

Please tell me the health bar indicator not being shown could also mean random HP generation of the praying mantis so you never know if it's going to be an easy or hard one to kill?

Seems this unique ability is made to throw off tactics being used and add a "wrench in the engine" sort of thing and the random factors would really enhance that!

Talon

Queen
Oh Yes! Yes! Yes! I hoped so much, we will get a Mantis! Yes! Thanks! It is looking so great!

Rayalot72

Maximum difficulty
Beta Tester
Extremely Helpful Person
Nice, we haven't had any stealth abilities so far.

I wonder if we'll ever get an ant with that as a jelly upgrade or something.

Buffalo981

Queen
Extremely Helpful Person
Trapjaws, green spike beetles, and a stealthy mantis. These are going to be the best levels yet!