Screen Shot Saturday - Trapjaws

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Leafcutters share their rainforest home with many other impressive animals. Trapjaw ants are one of their many foes, boasting the fastest-moving predatory appendage in the animal kingdom. Their jaws are so fast that they can close within microseconds, maiming their targets, or even using them to catapult foes or themselves away.

The leafcutters will encounter these ants in their trials, and they're fearsome opponents.

Xga3kaP.jpg

PrqlxHJ.jpg

vZVpXXm.jpg

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
For now they're third tier enemies but one day they might find themselves playable in some way.

Redmoth27

Queen
Backer
Sound very fun. This is a bit off topic but I think the ants should make sounds, because in real life ants rub their faster against their back leg to make a high pitch noise to communicate. https://youtu.be/pYdwdu3J5CA

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Redmoth27 said:
Sound very fun. This is a bit off topic but I think the ants should make sounds, because in real life ants rub their gaster against their back leg to make a high pitch noise to communicate. https://youtu.be/pYdwdu3J5CA
Ants have various methods of communication.
Myrmicine ants do stridulation, they rub thorns at the back of their thorax against a riffled structure on their first gaster segment which creates faint screeching sounds.
Formicine ants don't do stridulation, instead they just slam their heads or gasters against the ground like drums (some Camponotus species can do this with such force that they get catapulted a few millimeters into the air). They do this particularly to make their sisters aware of danger which creates a very typical crackling sound when a large nest gets disturbed. The vibrations travel through the ground and other ants can sense them with their legs.
Leafcutters vibrate with their whole body and they do this the stronger the better the quality of the plant they're currently munching on is - the vibrations continue through the leaf and stem of the plant and directly guide more workers to the best parts of the plant. That way leafcutters can quickly harvest the high-quality parts of a plant with highest efficiency.

Ants also communicate with a variety of dance-like sign language expessions (similar to what bees do) mostly for recruiting other ants, with Oecephylla weaver ants having the most intricate dances that can even transmit information like direction, range and certain specific types of threat.

So cool, I hope that you can have them in your formicarium like, Ereptors, Fusca, LeafCutters have Trap-Jaw with and every other ants xD

By the way, Slave makers could be too, yeah, I have big hope xD.

Keep that work !

The model looks great and I am sure it will be fun to encounter them in-game, though more than anything I am really hoping that Trap-Jaw ants will become a playable species in Freeplay mode down the line.