Strategic positions (heat)

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
My pet Camponotus grow into 6-legged racing cars when temperatures rise above 30°C and their development rate speeds up immensely. They can easily rival spiders and even perform small jumps, similar to those that Huntsman spider do. They also get more keen and aggressive, too.

Temperature influence would be a really cool thing - if it's colder most arthropods and amphibians/reptiles move and act at much lower speed (even deadly fungus would develop slower and aphids gave less honey dew). Even the brood development time could be affected.
Some animals - and even individual ant species - would be more affected than others which could make fights easier or harder depending on which species you fight and which ants you breed.

It would allow to give certain levels (preferably the first ones like the tutorial and the first campaign missions at the colder coast area) a slower pace and could even be a cool global modifier for skirmish and multiplayer games.

Furthermore hotter and colder spots could be implemented with hotter spots allowing for faster brood development and faster honey dew production in aphids which both are essential to outcompete and overrun the enemy.
That would actually allow for strategic positions on a map where fights cluster up as competing colonies fight for these valueable assets (like a big stone with a warmer area underneath it).

It would even be possible to task workers with "brood heating" (like ants in the wild in fact do) where they crawl out to a sunny place (in desert levels that might just be around the entrance but in other levels sunny spots might be rare and harder to find), absorb heat and then go back to buff brood tiles so the larvae develop faster (just place a group marker at a sunny spot and the ants will patrol between the sunny spot and the brood tiles).
That would also give idle workers a task and increase the traffic within the colony so it looks more like a natural ant colony.

Redmoth27

Queen
Backer
Speaking of Camponotus how did you find her, got any tips? My ant queen was a few weeks from collapse death and I released her and her last into the park so I want to find a new on.

MikeSlugDisco

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
To me this sounds like something that may well be appropriate for a more extensive sandbox mode that lots of people have asked for - it's probably a bit too specific a condition for most other modes, where you want to keep things as simple as possible to avoid confusion. I shall pass it on to John.

Serafine

Queen
Backer
Beta Tester
Ecosystem Beta Tester
Mike said:
To me this sounds like something that may well be appropriate for a more extensive sandbox mode that lots of people have asked for - it's probably a bit too specific a condition for most other modes, where you want to keep things as simple as possible to avoid confusion. I shall pass it on to John.
I just feel that the game may lack a bit in terms of strategic positions to fight over (except for large food sources). Strategic positions could help to funnel the fights a bit more and allow for back-and-forth battles to occur. They also give a bit of orientation to players as where to move on the maps.

Redmoth27 said:
Speaking of Camponotus how did you find her, got any tips? My ant queen was a few weeks from collapse death and I released her and her last into the park so I want to find a new on.
Actually I bought mine from a private keeper who ordered her from an ant shop and got 2 young colonies instead of 1 (I'm pretty sure the store was anthouse.es as they like to this, also they're one of the few european ant shops that regularly sells Camponotus barbaricus).

Camponotus are often amongst the first ants to fly when the weather gets hot as their males and queens live in the nest as adults over the winter (they often do have a second nuptial flight in summer though).
Their founding nests and young colonies are generally difficult to find because they're just small holes with no immediate ant presence around. Young Camponotus colonies are often nocturnal and their workers forage individually.

They like to nest in logs, so you may find young colonies by carefully breaking up smaller logs (just make sure you don't kill the queen and collect all workers and all brood, actually if possible take the entire log and put it in a glass container with some substrate like sand).
camponotus-pennsylvanicus-in-oak.jpg

Note though that young Camponotus colonies grow reaaaaaaally slow. Not sure what ants you kept before but Camponotus take 2-3 months from egg to worker and will live in test tubes for at least a year, sometimes even 2 years (usually at the end of year 2 they have anything between 50 and 200 workers). They also have very little outside activity, my recent new record was 3 ants outside at the same time after they grew to about 35 workers in about 9 months (from the 4 they were when I got them).

They usually have a massive population explosion in year 3-4 though where they suddenly grow into the thousands (that's usually also when the really huge supermajors start to appear). Then they also show more outside presence with about 10% of the population regularly visiting the outworld.

You could also go to forums like formiculture.com and see if someone in your area sells young Camponotus colonies (not sure where you live though).